Thinking of buying this lens

pbelarge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the lens. It is not bad, but it is not the sharpest lens out there.

What do you like to photograph?

If you have a little more money available, depending on your subject of interest, there may be better lenses out there.

I sold mine for $80 after getting a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-vc. The ones with the IS are optically not bad, better than Canon's past kit lenses. All around it's a good lens for the price.

The biggest 'con' is that it has a very small aperture (5.6 at 55mm) which makes it pretty useless in low light - although it has decent IS so that helps a bit.

What do you have now for lenses??

I use that lens for vacations. It's light, cheap, fairly sharp, and it comes with IS. It's a good value, but you won't shoot for the cover of National Geographic with it.

If you can afford to spend more get a better lens. Tamron 28-75 would be my recommendation. If not this lens isn't bad, it just not great.

Delta Ray
God Is In The Detail: Welcome

Also, look into fast wide or normal primes. I got my 35 1.8 for $200 brand new. They don't give you the flexibility of a zoom, but in my opinion the speed makes up for that in spades.

28mm and 35mm isn't that wide on a crop sensor Canon.... I wouldn't go for the 35mm prime nor the 28-70mm for that reason alone.

Have you found this review yet?

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Review

That review makes the 17-85 lens look great..

The 17-55 f/2.8 is a great lens, but it's a thousand dollars.

OP, maybe look into a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (like I mentioned before), even those are expensive at $500 - BUT I got mine for half that on craigslist.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back