This for all the Mac users thinking off upgrading to Yosemite.

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you have Mavericks,Mountain Lion or any older version I suggest stay where you are.I upgraded free of Charge to Yosemite and what an abortion.Killed my Aperture but supposedly the last and no longer update's after 3.6 makes it compatible with Yosemite,but instead I got a broken Aperture and working Photos.Photos is not even in the same level as Aperture,its like pretty iPhoto. On to Safari browser crashing constantly and and web pages stuck like I am back In the AOL dial up days, not to count the two or three minutes to boot up time cold vs 15 seconds with Mavericks.I have an i7 that turned like an old Celeron Processor.Great job Apple.Thanks to a USB boot drive to format back to mavericks and holly cow,it feels like I got twin i7 turbo boost and got my Aperture back up.I am never Upgrading again but just updating apps and security.YMMV but just backup before you take the plunge and anyone getting a new mac is what you got to look forward to but then again ,you probably wouldn't no the difference how slow Yosemite is to mavericks.

Last edited:
I loved the upgrade. Sorry you had so much trouble. :(. I'm still using aperture in Yosemite. I think you can still upgrade your version via the upgrades portion of the App Store (but I may be wrong).

The biggest problem to staying where you are is, I believe, you won't get added support for any new cameras, as I don't think they're adding new camera support to the older versions of the OS (apple adds camera support at the OS level, not the app level, IIRC).

I had the latest up date and Aperture is no longer available in app store in the US and though I purchased Aperture it still wouldn't let me re download it.Only when I went back to mavericks that I could do a reinstall.Mavericks smokes Yosemite in speed,no doubt in my mind.My web page open almost instantly again. A guy I know works at the apple store servicing macs and said a lot of people are having issues that had mavericks before and moved over to Yosemite and there is plenty of complaints on the inter webs as well.

Last edited:
Another not-ready-for-prime-time OS update...

Seems like Apple has taken a page from Microsoft's big failure, Windoze 8. lol. But srsly, this has happened before. I've been a Mac user for a long time, since the 1990's...Apple occasionally squeezes out one of those three-days-constipated turds that float...

As with so many things in software, the biggest problems come from the tech companies themselves, where engineers, executives, and the entire company basically, has a killer machine with the newest and most up-to-date everything, and then comes along, adds some new features, and ends up breaking the hardware/software setups of the majority of real-world users.

We see this a LOT, as tech companies loaded with cash and killer machines design software that will not work well on even 1- or 2-year-old hardware.

I ran both side by side for a while (I was part of the public beta) and didn't find any of these problems. Apple does have a history of "accidentally" making their newest software run crappy on previous gen machines, that could be some of it.

But I couldn't personally be happier with Yosemite. I love the new features, like the design and have found 0 drawbacks in speed.

The only mild issue is that my 8 year old airport express finally bit the dust support wise. It officially did with Mavericks, but there was a work around. Now seems to totally be non-workable.

Another thing is,sometimes going over the top of existing software is not as smooth as a fresh install with out previous version. So even though there might be previous version under the skin so to speak,the fresh install somestimes is just smoother.That said,buying a new out of box might be a better experience with Yosemight and must of the problems I have read where from people that upgraded the OS like my self. I love Macs and despite some issues,I can't even see my self ever going back to windows regardless of the great experience I had with XP and windows 7.

Last edited:
I just bought a MacBook last week, Yosemite runs very very fast, but this new Photos app is a joke. It is designed for a 4 y.o.

Last edited:
Back when I bought my miniMac in 2010 about a year later I wanted to upgrade the OS.
I bought and upgraded my OS. ooh .. but now apps didn't work. I had to upgrade apps and some built in apps were now separate. The price kept escalating for the upgrade from ancillary things. I just undid the upgrade and stayed where I was at with it. It still plays Netflix fine and my iPhones connect to my Windows iTunes instead of the Mac.

Well is better then iPhoto to a point but yea.Not that I am a professional or plan to be but I want user friendly software thats on pro level and Aperture is no doubt a robust editing software.

FYI this was a known issue clear back in July of 2014. Aperture and iPhoto were both discontinued for Photo.

I installed Yosemite the first day it was available, been running great ever since. NO issues with Aperture or anything else. Sorry things are not going as well for you.

I have not yet upgraded, but I will do it soon now that Yosemite has been out for a while now. Currently running Maverick with Parallels/Win XP so first want to be sure there are no issues.

Thanks Bill no problem,back up with Mavericks running fast again
I installed Yosemite the first day it was available, been running great ever since. NO issues with Aperture or anything else. Sorry things are not going as well for you.
Thanks Bill.It's all good again with Mavericks.

FYI this was a known issue clear back in July of 2014. Aperture and iPhoto were both discontinued for Photo.
Apple won't admit it openly, but aperture was discontinued because apple felt that competing with Lightroom was a waste of their creative energy. It really didn't have much to do with the photos app. Apple doesn't try to market photos as a professional app.

Apple won't admit it openly, but aperture was discontinued because apple felt that competing with Lightroom was a waste of their creative energy. It really didn't have much to do with the photos app. Apple doesn't try to market photos as a professional app.

I have downloaded 2,000 images into Photos, then downloaded the trial version of Lightroom 6, and LR 6 could not see these photos, could not import it, not a single file.
What is also frustrating - if you open Finder, then Pictures, then Photos and expect to see files, it will jump straight into the app. But that's Mac, I guess.
So I relocated all my images and just removed Photos from my desk, it was useless. Or probably I was useless :)

Most reactions

Back