This Forum is Getting Harder to Read

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As time goes by this forum has gotten harder to read and wastes my time. Lately if I am not logged in any time I open a page in a window it won't close again unless I confirm it. And then again there are those pop-up windows that I have to close for each page too. Are you deliberately trying to drive away users? If you are trying to make money, this doesn't help. You need to attract people to the forum, not drive them away.

Does the page and window behavior change when you're logged in?
Generally, I'm automatically logged in when I come to The Photo Forum. It might be I've optioned to stay logged in either here at TPF or within my browser.
I've never had happen to me what you've described.

Once every couple years TPF does an upgrade and I have to log in again. I usually don't notice until I attempt to post a comment. I say D'oh and then log in.

Edit: I recall a few years back that I was so busy with life in general that weeks and even months would pass between my visits to TPF. I recall that TPF would then ask me each time I came to log in if I wanted to comment or post a photo. Might it be that you are here infrequently enough for TPF to forget and require you to log in?

Yeah the pop ups don’t happen if you’re logged in.

If you are trying to make money, this doesn't help. You need to attract people to the forum, not drive them away.
Readers mean nothing without advertising, and vice-versa.

I have noticed a difference in viewing this site between I pad and win 7 lap top but I believe that is because the lap top is still using ms explorer

What OS, what browser?
Auto Log-in, Windows 10, Chrome with an ad blocker extension: no pop-ups and only a single ad under the "Forum Sponsors" area to the right.

I don't have time to write much right now. Things are generally back to they way they were before the upgrade (not wonderful but generally liveable). At least until roughly this week. Now you have a security problem:

Attachments

• 2019-1226-Prob01a.jpg
    2019-1226-Prob01a.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 216
I don't have time to write much right now. Things are generally back to they way they were before the upgrade (not wonderful but generally liveable). At least until roughly this week. Now you have a security problem:
VidThreeNorth, are you using some sort of 3rd party virus protection? Or perhaps your Windows operating system does some automatic protecting? Every once in awhile when going to a website my virus protection app will tell me that it can't verify the security certificate. I get to decide whether to visit the site or not. I don't think I've ever had that happen here at The Photo Forum.

If the certificate for the website was out of date every user would be getting the warning (which normally prompts a wave of reports and then tech people fix it pretty quickly). Since you're the only user reporting this we can only conclude that the issue is at your end rather than the website.

It might be that your computers date is incorrect; that some 3rd party virus scanner/protector you've got is raising false positives or you could even have a localised virus or data corruption on your end. You might try to use a basic browser like Internet Explorer without any addons enabled and such. Just to view the site and see if it makes a difference. Basically go back to very basics and then use your regular browser and enable the different addons one by one and see if it has an effect.

No problems here.

The forum is smooth for me. No Pop-ups or unwanted ads :)

Every time I try to log on using the McDonald's free Wi-Fi I get a warning that the security certificate is out of date. I never had this problem with my iPhone, but my new Samsung Android has had this problem since day one. I bought the phone on September 22nd of this year and it typically takes me a minute or two to log on when I use the McDonalds free Wi-Fi. at home on my personal Wi-Fi network, no problems.

What OS, what browser?
Auto Log-in, Windows 10, Chrome with an ad blocker extension: no pop-ups and only a single ad under the "Forum Sponsors" area to the right.
Same here, but with Firefox and up-to-date iPhone and Mac software.

I had an issue with pop ups on the site a few months back, even when logged in, using Firefox. Installed AdBlock extension, problem solved. Even now according to the little counter, it stops 3-4 popups everytime I log in. I have to wonder if some of the pop ups aren't being generated by sniffers working behind the scenes, either through your computer or cell phone. Back several months ago DW and I were driving home from a friend's memorial service and we started discussing cremation as a choice for when the time comes. Next day pop ups for cremation services started showing up on our computers. We had never searched for anything like this, we did have our cell phones with us. Since then others have mentioned similar mysterious ads popping up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back