this okay for a newbie?

maulrat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all. I just wanted to know your opinion on a camera I just bought. I have never owned anything beyond a point-n-shoot. I am on a pretty low budget at the moment but I want to get started learning the basics of photography. I purchased:

Canon XTi body and a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens w/Canon hood

I've read a few forums and there seems to be a large variety of Nikon lovers. I went with the Canon because I got a sweet deal and I figure that I have to start somewhere. Is this an okay camera to start out with?

Hello all. I just wanted to know your opinion on a camera I just bought. I have never owned anything beyond a point-n-shoot. I am on a pretty low budget at the moment but I want to get started learning the basics of photography. I purchased:

Canon XTi body and a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens w/Canon hood

I've read a few forums and there seems to be a large variety of Nikon lovers. I went with the Canon because I got a sweet deal and I figure that I have to start somewhere. Is this an okay camera to start out with?

Absolutely. It's a good body and will hold the full spectrum of Canon glass. It will make a nice back-up too if you decide to upgrade later to a different body. Enjoy it!

Oh yes, there are a lot of Nikon people and a lot of Canon people.

I myself have a Canon Rebel XTi, btw good job with a 50mm f/1.8 its an excellent lens :)

Make sure you read up on Exposure, Shutter Speed, Aperture, ISO etc...

Have fun with it.

I'm looking into getting a new camera (DSLR or upgraded P&S). My problem is too many choices. Too many different opinions from people. I need to do what maulrat did and just buy something.

Not to be snarky... but wouldn't the time to have asked been before you went and dropped hundreds of dollars?

Yes, but I had to make a pretty quick purchase on the camera body because I had a friend looking to scoop the deal from under me =)

Not to be snarky... but wouldn't the time to have asked been before you went and dropped hundreds of dollars?

yeah i was about to say that too lol

not to mention that the camera only determines the kind of pictures you take to a certain extent. ive seen p&s users taking pics that kill pics taken by some hardcore dslr users.

I purchased:
Canon XTi body and a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 lens w/Canon hood.

I paid $450 for the body (used 4 days; not a scratch on it from trustworthy friend) and $89 for the lens, new.

Most reactions

Back