This site is falling apart..

Whats really killing the forum are these damn 10 page threads. WTF! :lol:

I will agree with a few things I saw mentioned, that I do not feel like going back and trying to actually quote, but I am not reading 10 pages of this. I skimmed maybe 5.

I think even the inexperienced are able to give C+C. It doesn't say that this is nothing but experts. If someone has been doing this for 6 months, and I have been doing it for a week, they should still be able to pass on some knowledge. The other thing is that much of what everyone says on here is opinion based. Many people do things different ways, have different beliefs, and have different reasons for pursuing photography. So if you come on here expecting that every response you get to a picture posting is the gospel, then you need a reality check. On the Flip side I think a lot of people on here are just posting for C+C because they want to hear an "Atta Boy". Its rare anymore that I actually see people courteous and thankful to the responses. It always turns into a bickering match amongst responders, or a big excuse fest by the OP. Also, would it kill people to start using the thanks button?

THE THANKS BUTTON IS OUR FRIEND!!! this is how you weed out the morons from the people that are actually useful. You are only allowed three thanks per day, so you have to actually CARE who you give them to. Its not just willy nilly. How about a sticky about this? This would cure the whole problem and act as a barometer of whether to listen to someone more than the other guy. ( again, thats assuming its a factual question as opposed to an opinionated one ).

The last thing I will touch on is the term "PROFESSIONAL."
While I tend to think of a professional being more a skill level/self-conduct type thing, the reality is, that a professional is anyone who gets paid to do a task. Sure some people IMO shouldn't be charging, but who the hell are we to tell them that they aren't entitled to be a "professional" photographer? Maybe thats the biggest problem with this forum, the sense of entitlement and the sense of superiority. There are many seasoned pros that could stand to learn a thing from time to time from a total newbie. Whether its a creative new technique, or a new technology they have yet to try. If someone is making money catering to low income families on a shoestring budget that need a wedding photog, then great. Good for them. They are helping the less fortunate, AND making a living off of it. Much less than I can say for most of the "so called experts" on here. Armani doesn't ***** because Kmart is having a sale on Lee Dungarees. Quality sells itself. So lets get off the high horse.

With that said, I don't want to come off as biting the hand that has fed me. I learned a LOT on this forum by some very smart and helpful people ( you know who you are ) but I think we can all ( including myself ) stand to step back a bit and assess how we can make this forum better. Whether its going downhill or not. There is always room for improvement.

Sad that even considering your newness, you still chose to become a supporting member of the site and fed money to the people who are the ones responsible for its demise.

What's wrong with supporting something you participate in?

In some cases, its throwing away money. If the money given would be going back into the site, then its all good. But in this case, the money goes into the owner's pockets, nothing but broken promises coming back to the community

I need to start a website. Maybe I'll call it broken promises and I'll have one button on my site that says "help support broken promises" and it'll be a direct link to my paypal account.

Off I go!

Sad that even considering your newness, you still chose to become a supporting member of the site and fed money to the people who are the ones responsible for its demise.

In some cases, its throwing away money. If the money given would be going back into the site, then its all good. But in this case, the money goes into the owner's pockets, nothing but broken promises coming back to the community

What's wrong with it going into the owners pockets? Is this a charity?

What's wrong with it going into the owners pockets? Is this a charity?

Nothing, which is why they have the option there. However, just kow that the money you spend will have no impact whatsoever on the site. Sure, ads will be gone for you and if that's worth it, go for it. I for one don't feel like supporting people who don't support me.

i havent been on the site long but im wondering what exactly do you hope for them to do in terms of support? outside hosting, maintaining and keeping the site in check? the ads and 'our' contributions keep the site up, yes some of it will be profit but isn't that to be expected? as someone said already its not charity.

its a forum, so in my opinion, 90% of what makes the site attractive is the community and not the bells and whistles the site owner adds. ive read about the sudden disappearance of the nude section and i can see how that must feel like a blow to the community but all in all, on a forum where its mostly about community participation than site-based-features, i dont see what people are hoping for exactly...

btw given the nature of the site, id assume ads to be a norm. dont know why people are upset by them as if it was a complete surprise.

Nothing, which is why they have the option there. However, just kow that the money you spend will have no impact whatsoever on the site. Sure, ads will be gone for you and if that's worth it, go for it. I for one don't feel like supporting people who don't support me.
Then why post here at all? I don't mean that to be snarky, I'm just curious.

Needs-More-Cowbell.jpg

Then why post here at all? I don't mean that to be snarky, I'm just curious.

Entertainment? :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back