Those who sell on eBay or Craigslist

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a buyer asking me for the serial number on a camera I'm selling. He says it's to confirm it's not a grey market item. Is this a scam? Can they do something sketchy if I give them the number?

I have a buyer asking me for the serial number on a camera I'm selling. He says it's to confirm it's not a grey market item. Is this a scam? Can they do something sketchy if I give them the number?

I don't see how he could do something sketchy. I mean I guess he could try reporting it stolen or something, but that would be a stretch.

Not sure that asking for serial number is a scam, unless the next question is wanting your bank acct number!

If you shoot Nikon, the first two letters will do it.

Thanks all.

If you shoot Nikon, the first two letters will do it.

Yes, if the letters are US.

But not all US lenses start out with US. Some are just numbers.

I would take a photo of the number and crop off the last few digits before sending it to him. I understand your sense of caution, but at some point, you want the transaction to go through.

I asked Nikon as a buyer if the item I intend to buy was reported stolen. I did often show the serial number openly to gain the trust of my potential customers. I did always have proof of original purchase and items registered with Nikon so noone could trick me easily in return.

I have been selling on eBay since it began. I agree with the others above who advise just giving all but the last few digits. In most cases the request for a SN is innocent but a bad apple could make trouble for you if given the complete number. Giving all but the last few digits should satisfy any legitimate request for a SN.

To follow up, he was just wanting to confirm it was not a grey market item. I copied the warranty card with the serial number and a photo of the serial number, both with the last 2 digits blurred. That was what he needed and the sale was fine. Thanks for all the help!

2 camera bodies and 3 lenses down, 6 lenses to go!!!

When I buy I always make sure it's a US supported SN for warranty work, whether the warranty has expired or not. My 80-200/2.8 has been in for warranty work about 2 yrs ago and it's past was warranty but I had no problem getting it serviced. I'm not sure Nikon would work on a non-US body/lens.

Most reactions

Back