Tick tick tick tick...

They are talking about the D800 being targeted towards studio shooters... think product photographers.

Sounds like the D400 may be a ways off yet,

You are most likely right on this, but the thing that makes me laugh is this is going to be a camera aimed at studio pros and also the average consumers. Before it was clear and obvious, the Nikon D3X was for the high resolution pros, the D3S was the camera for sports/action/low light pro shooters, the D700 was everything put into a smaller body at a cheaper price for the consumers.

It would seem the D800 is trying to appeal to the people who use medium format and also the average joe on the street who might buy a Canon 5D MKII/MKIII. I would prefer Nikon stuck with the tried and tested formula, I think the D800 should be 24MP. 24MP is enough to secure the needs of the MP hunters IMO.
As far as Megapixel war, I believe it is driven by the market, not by what the best photographers said. You and I don't want 36mega, but if that is what sells, they will make cameras that can produce higher mega pixels image. At least in the lower end to mid range market.

In 2010, when Canon grab 44% market share globally (of course, I believe most of them are low end) in DSLR market, Nikon MAY response to that if they both believe the mega pixels is one of the major factor.

I think you may have a point here, perhaps Nikon are trying to claw in the idiotic Canon shooters who only bought a 5D Mark II because it means they can crop photos all the time! I have to say it still worries me Nikon are going this route as I have said on countless occasions.. but then again what the hell do I know?? It seems the megapixel race will never end, Thom Hogan says on his site that the high MP obsession will causes alot of issues (Diffraction, lens resolving power etc..) It seems these issues are going to become more and more prominent in the future.

I also get the feeling the giants are feeling insecure about the DSLR market now that mirrorless has entered the ring, Mirrorless systems are the biggest thing to rock the DSLR industry in a long long time. I think Nikon/Canon are worried and I don't think the new Nikon mirrorless matches the Sony APS-C sensor NEX line. (As good as it is!)

I'm really curious about the D800 without the AA filter. The removal of this filter seems to me like it should deal with diffraction better, if I'm understanding what it does properly. This would effectively give both the studio shooters a great camera (D800 with AA filter) that won't have moire with patterned outfits, and don't need F/16-22, and the landscape shooters a great camera (D800 without AA filter), with incredible detail in the photos, and the ability to bring the camera to F/16 without diffraction taking too much of an effect, since the gained detail from the removal of the AA filter, + high resolution sensor will bring in.

I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back