Tick tick tick tick...

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
01/06/2012 Nikon is rumored to announce the D4 and D800.

I'm buying one of the two... leaning more D4 at the moment since the D800 is supposed to be 36 mp, which I think is just absolutely ridiculous. (I'm sure it will be useful for some people, but seriously? 36?! I want high iso!)

Anyway... I'm dying... I've been waiting for this for like 2 years now.

(it also kills me because I'll miss the tax writeoff for this year) bah!

LOL at 01/06/2012...heck, I can show you an article where they were rumored to announce the D800 back in 2011, and in 2010, and in 2009.

It will eventually happen, but at this point, I'm beyond believing in the rumor that Nikon will announce a new camera tomorrow. If you say it for long enough, eventually, you are bound to be right...but the 800 times they were wrong before that makes me sick of all these 'rumors'.

Stop by Thom Hogan's website..he says the two new Nikon D-SLR's will be announced early in 2012, but he thinks they will be announced separately, one in January, the other in February. Look for his comments in the December 21 and December 19, 2012 columns, which will probably be moved off of the front page and into the archive fairly soon. He points out that it seems Canon and Nikon are both going forward with advanced consumer/enthusiast cameras with higher-MP counts, while the "pro" cameras will focus on lower MP count sensors and better pixel-level image quality. Nikon admitted this month, in Japanese-language interviews, that their summer, 2011 announcements had to be halted, first due to the Japan tsunami, and then the flooding that happened in their foreign assembly plants. Hogan says that the Nikon Rumours web ite specifications sound a lot like what he has been hearing through his sources, and he referred readers to that web site for details on the upcoming NIkon d-slr announcements.

He predicts that 2012 will be a year filled with new product announcements from Nikon, Canon, and Fuji, among others.

He predicts that 2012 will be a year filled with new product announcements from Nikon, Canon, and Fuji, among others.

Uhm, duh. Just like every year past and every year in the future.

These 'predictions' are silly.

Umm, sorry but NO, not just like every year past and every year in the future. Japan suffered a HUGE tsunami, and then months worth of power outages and rolling black-outs. And THEN, flooding caused most all of Nikon's offshore assembly plants to become entirely inoperable. So, sorry smart-aleck, but 2012 will NOT BE a replay of years past. The year 2012 will be a very different year; it will be a year following a year that was marked by historically aberrant, most-unusual, catastrophic manufacturing issues that affected foreign manufacturing plants in multiple countries. Try reading sometime.

Kerby, why not "think" for a few minutes before you smart off? Your flippant remarks are factually inaccurate.

Thom Hogan is one of the very few Americans who has been payed to speak DIRECTLY, as in face-to-face, with Nikon's senior Japan executives. He's in tune with the Nikon company in ways that very few people are.

Umm, sorry but NO, not just like every year past and every year in the future. Japan suffered a HUGE tsunami, and then months worth of power outages and rolling black-outs. And THEN, flooding caused most all of Nikon's offshore assembly plants to become entirely inoperable. So, sorry smart-aleck, but 2012 will NOT BE a replay of years past. it will be a very different year, due to next year following a year marked by historically aberrant, most-unusual, catastrophic manufacturing issues that affected foreign manufacturing plants in multiple countries. Try reading sometime.

Kerby, why not "think" for a few minutes before you smart off? Your flippant remarks are factually inaccurate.

Thom Hogan is one of the very few Americans who has been payed to speak DIRECTLY, as in face-to-face, with Nikon's senior Japan executives. He's in tune with the Nikon company in ways that very few people are.

My remarks are not flippant or inaccurate. You said that Thom believes that Nikon, Canon, Fuji, etc will make new product announcements in 2012.

Well, I don't know anything about Apple, have never spoken to any of their executives or even one of their employees, but I can guarantee you that Apple will make a new product announcement in 2012. Same with Sony, Craftsman and Matel.

It's a silly prediction and deserves no credit whatsoever.

As far as a release of a professional level DSLR from Nikon, well, they have been on the same cycle for decades. It's not hard to 'predict' when new cameras are going to be released. The only difference here is everybody had predicted they would be released in 2011. Instead, the tsunami hit, manufacturing suffered, and there was a resurgence in sales of older cameras that couldn't even be kept in stock. As soon as that happened, I knew we wouldn't see a D4 or D800 in 2011. I said it months and months ago...when Nikon Rumors and Thom were still saying it would be released in 2011. You can check my posting history.

Even with the manufacturing hurtles, tsunami, and devastation to Japan's local economy, Nikon still produced new products in 2011...just as they will in 2012.

Personally, I believe the 2012 Olympics will center around a lot of Nikon's announcements and releases...just as I said months ago.

Here is the thread from 4 months ago where I described exactly what I thought was going to happen and so far I've been right...I guess we'll see how close I am in the next year or so...
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nikon/254081-d700-upgrade.html

Last edited:
man... bristly.

Yeah, I get how the predictions have been off previously. Trust me I was really mad when Nikon's last big announcement was that evil camera and some waterproof cameras in fashion colors. It is what it is, but as you said... eventually it will happen. Maybe it will be 01/06, maybe it won't but that's really rather secondary.

The REAL question is D4 or D800, and that has a lot to do with the spec when it's announced, and so far the specs being announced appear to be pretty well supported. Certain? No.

Personally I'm hoping the D4 is 18mp instead of the announced 16... and I'm hoping the d800 is 24 instead of 36. I'm also hoping the ISO range on both cameras is higher than rumored. Doesn't sound like they've made as big a leap in that as they usually do... though I suppose there may be limits there... it just didn't feel like they had come all that close to those limits given the rate of some of the previous leaps. Though to be honest, I'm sort of talking out of my butt, here... I should go re-research the numbers.

With the announcement of the 1Dx from Canon, Nikon is sure to release a camera with similar...probably better specs than that camera and it'll definitely be early 2012. They'll have to release a new camera for photographers to use at the Olympics.

Nikon had already released "a camera with similar.........specs than" the Canon1Dx, back in October of 2009 - the D3s.

Nothing on the D400? :grumpy:

I thought they said the megapixel wars were over, this 36MP camera will be interesting to see reviewed. It will appeal to dumb consumers all over the world I guess!

They are talking about the D800 being targeted towards studio shooters... think product photographers.

Sounds like the D400 may be a ways off yet,

As far as Megapixel war, I believe it is driven by the market, not by what the best photographers said. You and I don't want 36mega, but if that is what sells, they will make cameras that can produce higher mega pixels image. At least in the lower end to mid range market.

In 2010, when Canon grab 44% market share globally (of course, I believe most of them are low end) in DSLR market, Nikon MAY response to that if they both believe the mega pixels is one of the major factor.

I'll be interested in comparing the supposed 2 versions of the D800, one with antilaliasing filter and one without.

I just want them to announce some new lenses...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back