Tidal Basin in DC at Sunset

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a few pictures this weekend with full cherry blossoms in view, but I've taken enough of them so concentrated more on the water and the amazing sunset we had. Processed only in LR. CC welcome

#1 Nikon D750, ISO 800, 30 Sec, f/8 with ND10 Stop Filter
#2 Nikon D750, Tamron 70-200 @145, ISO 100, f/29, 20 Secs. Used an ND10 stop filter to get the long exposure
#3 Nikon D750, Tamron 70-200 @135mm, f/11, ISO 100, 1/125
12901508_975454075870590_5927592610998823092_o.jpg
12063682_977127495703248_1868790515471062571_n.jpg
12891728_976290422453622_8628988774753568627_o.jpg

Jealous that you get to see all those gorgeous cherry blossoms! That first pic is beautiful - colors, sky, reflection, the monument... I do think you need to straighten it or correct for distortion so the building is level. Maybe a bit less water in the foreground but I can see why you cropped/framed it this way to get the most of the pink sky and water in the shot.

Jealous that you get to see all those gorgeous cherry blossoms! That first pic is beautiful - colors, sky, reflection, the monument... I do think you need to straighten it or correct for distortion so the building is level. Maybe a bit less water in the foreground but I can see why you cropped/framed it this way to get the most of the pink sky and water in the shot.

I'll take a look at it again for the horizon. I did correct it a few different ways. When I went for the monument the horizon looked wonky, when I did the horizon I got a tilting monument. I'll be honest I didn't try the lens distortion as it was shot on my 24-70 and assumed distortion wouldn't be there. (Lesson learned). Yes you nailed on why I left so much water in the foreground..the sky looks awesome in the water.

#1 is very good. Agree with @SquarePeg on the level/distortion.. Sorry, but not a fan of 2 or 3.

Since you were there at sunset, I guess I didn't bump arms with you trying to get shots Saturday morning/early afternoon. The wife and I went for the day. It was chaos around the Tidal Basin, filled with tripods, strollers, children, and teenagers taking selfies. I saw a guy setting up a large format camera with tripod in the middle of the walking path causing a large backup of people. The tourists in DC were too nice; he would have been trampled in NYC.

The wife wanted to go to the Renwick, but the line was literally out the door and down the block. :(

something along these lines, maybe. To me the sky above a certain point is less interesting than the waters reflections of it so moved the horizon up.
upload_2016-3-29_13-14-22.jpeg

something along these lines, maybe. To me the sky above a certain point is less interesting than the waters reflections of it so moved the horizon up.
View attachment 118580
Interesting.. I would have gone the other way with the negative space at the top.

Here it is re-cropped, and distortion corrected.
20160326 DC Tidal Basin082-Edit-Edit.jpg

#1 is very good. Agree with @SquarePeg on the level/distortion.. Sorry, but not a fan of 2 or 3.

Since you were there at sunset, I guess I didn't bump arms with you trying to get shots Saturday morning/early afternoon. The wife and I went for the day. It was chaos around the Tidal Basin, filled with tripods, strollers, children, and teenagers taking selfies. I saw a guy setting up a large format camera with tripod in the middle of the walking path causing a large backup of people. The tourists in DC were too nice; he would have been trampled in NYC.

The wife wanted to go to the Renwick, but the line was literally out the door and down the block. :(

It's CRAZY this time of year, for 1 week everybody and their brother wants to come out. I'm usually out bright and early, but even then it's crazy. So there really is no good time to go.

#1 ala squarepeg. 2 and 3....so-so snapshots.

So So snapshots... okay... can you provide me more feedback then that?? I spent a fair amount of time getting the composition, and the settings right to get the long exposure with the correct exposure so "snapshot" it is not.

#1 ala squarepeg. 2 and 3....so-so snapshots.

So So snapshots... okay... can you provide me more feedback then that?? I spent a fair amount of time getting the composition, and the settings right to get the long exposure with the correct exposure so "snapshot" it is not.

#2 has a dead center horizon, and neither one of them has a specific subject or point of interest. The latter alone is what distinguishes most landscape snapshots.

I really like number one as well. 2 and 3 don't speak to me quite as much. In number one however, I find the reflection of the distant building on the water distracting. I understand that you can't do much about it while shooting, but maybe remove it in pp?

Most reactions

Back