Tips for groups/oh god, what did I get myself into?!

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got off the phone with a fairly good friend, her MIL wants to do a last minuet photo session while her brother is in the country. (He leaves right after the new year) seeing a good opportunity to get away for a bit from our extended company, I jumped at the opportunity! Now all I can think is "what did I just agree to?! I have never shot a group before, and I don't enjoy shooting kids."

I've already said yes, and I'm not sure if they can find someone else (the 23rd) on such short notice, so I can't back out. She knows I am not a professional, and I have declined payment twice.

That said, I need some tips/resources for shooting groups. 5 adults, three kids. I think 7, 6ish and 2ish.

I'm still waiting to hear back on weather this is an indoor or outdoor shoot......

Thanks in advance!

Groups are a blast! we used to be involved in a lot of groups back in the day, and I always recommend setting the safe words before getting started. get that out of the way early.
introductions are always a good start.
after that, its really just exploring boundaries. mutual respect is the key. slow and steady wins the race.

Two words: Hip flask.
Hip flash, your makeshift toga and wild dancing by yourself. It probably won't help this time, but I doubt you'll have to worry about it again. ;)

Oh, and if you go this route, please let me know (where and when).

Jazzie, I'm no pro, but as a long-time project manager, the usual method of dealing with a big problem is to break it down into smaller issues, and keep on doing that until the problem is simple and manageable. Break the overall session into several small sessions, and appoint the MIL as the circus-master because you DON'T want it to be your problem rounding up the various bodies at the right time. Then deal with each mini-session on its own. Of course, scout out the place, the light, the backgrounds, give them clear instructions re. clothes, etc. But make the MIL (assuming she's the authority figure) the one who moves things along.

Two words: Hip flask.
Hip flash, your makeshift toga and wild dancing by yourself. It probably won't help this time, but I doubt you'll have to worry about it again. ;)

Oh, and if you go this route, please let me know (where and when).
Sounds good! 9pm est location- the tpf Christmas party thread. :))

Jazzie, I'm no pro, but as a long-time project manager, the usual method of dealing with a big problem is to break it down into smaller issues, and keep on doing that until the problem is simple and manageable. Break the overall session into several small sessions, and appoint the MIL as the circus-master because you DON'T want it to be your problem rounding up the various bodies at the right time. Then deal with each mini-session on its own. Of course, scout out the place, the light, the backgrounds, give them clear instructions re. clothes, etc. But make the MIL (assuming she's the authority figure) the one who moves things along.
I like this! One mini "problem" at a time! I'm really hoping they want indoors since I'm comfortable there. If not, I guess I'll be location scouting like tomorrow?!

Wait - did someone mention Jazzie in a toga?

As usual, Paul is the voice of reason and wisdom. Listen to him!

(But listen to me, too, and have that flask filled and ready to go as a back up plan when reason and wisdom go down the crapper! :D )

More like a towel, well, some white fabric. Sheer enough she had to convert them to B&W.

(slinks off to lurk through Flickr pages)

I dunno. You really need the right company for a toga party. And adequate amount of spirits to ensure that sedation trumps friskiness. Don't ask me how I know.

As usual, Paul is the voice of reason and wisdom. Listen to him!

(But listen to me, too, and have that flask filled and ready to go as a back up plan when reason and wisdom go down the crapper! :D )
I'm not a drinker. when I drink, then I wake up dehydrated so I drink water, then I wake up to Pee, and drink more water, so I need to Pee, which leaves me dehydrated.....

More like a towel, well, some white fabric. Sheer enough she had to convert them to B&W.

(slinks off to lurk through Flickr pages)
:blush: good thing I was careful when cropping that set.

I've never actually been to a toga party... I think I know what just made my bucket list!

The hip-flask is the best advice of all, but in addition to that, remember to mention clothing choices; you don't want Dad in blue-jeans and a wife-beater, Mom in a black top with white slacks and the children in neon! Shoot wide so you can crop easily to various sizes, make sure your DoF is sufficient to get everyone in focus, and watch your backgrounds. This stuff is easy, it really is (and Paul's tip about enrolling the MiL as a cat-herder is also top-notch!).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back