Tips for photographing KIDS CLOTHING at the beach

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys!

I have a good friend whos sister in law is opening a business that sells homemade organic kid clothing. She asked if I would shoot some photos for her website. She wants them to have a beachy feel with emphasis on the clothing. I live right down the street from lake superior so we're going to the lake.

There are going to be 4 kids, ages in range of 2-6, 2 boys 2 girls. I'm a little nervous I really want this to come out great. I know I worked with kids before cameras but I'm just nervous I'm not gonna get what she wants. Ive gone to this spot many o times so I know how the sun hits during the day and have an idea of what I want to get. We already scheduled it for 630pm. Sunset is about 8-830.

Any tips on how to capture some good "catalog" shots? Since its for the clothing not really the kid I need to make the clothing shine and not the beach.

I already have some notes written down and I'd love some more input.
Thanks guys! :)

This could be tough; it's going to be all about the lighting. I'm not sure that you're going to have enough time. My suggestion would to use sunrise instead (if the light falls correctly then) since that will allow you more time. Make sure you have a good selection of lights and modifiers; I'm thinking probably two -three speedlights, one soft-box/shoot-through umbrella and one reflective umbrella, also bring some medium and large reflectors and a polarizing filter.

Given the age of the children, I would want each of their mothers around, since they're the ones most likely to be able to calm the child or get him/her to smile if and when needed. I would make sure that you have at least one person whose job will be nothing but holding reflectors and moving lights. Bring a good selection of props (buckets, spades, balls, tubes, etc) and know what child is going to wear what outfit when. Make sure you have someone who can wrangle the children when they're not in front of the camera.

My outline idea, not knowing what the clothing looks like, or what the venue is like, would be to position the children so that they're mainly lit by the sun, but not such that it makes them squint. Use a single speedlight one side to as a fill, and a reflector where necessary. Shoot the background at one stop under and use a polarizing filter to enhance the colours and saturation. Look for nice, even backgrounds that won't be distracting or compete with the subject, and shoot with long glass and large apertures, but make sure that you have enough DoF so that the child (and clothing) is all in sharp focus.

Oh you broke my heart :( lol! Pretty much everything you just said I have not purchased yet. :( A lot of that I just looked up on ebay and amazon and am ordering later after I battle it out with my lawn mower and beach session.

I was looking into reflectors, polarizing lens, UV filters. I read in a few articles that some photographers use their polarized sunglasses to wear so they can see what it would be if they had their polarizing lens. I do have sunglasses should I try that?

I just purchased a lighting kit that has 2 umbrellas I could use those umbrellas. 1 black and 2 reflective. I haven't even looked into soft boxes etc before

I asked the lady to email me pics of clothing so I had an idea, honestly shes just super busy and hasn't really outlined exactly what she wants.

I'm so nervous and now even more nervous ROFL!! NOOBIE ALERt NOOBLIE ALERT! hahaha
Thanks for the tips tho! She is call me at 5 and said she can go earlier. So I'll set it up for 530ish to give us some more time.

This is product photography, and location product photography. It can be a very difficult process. If this is a 'freebie for a friend' shoot, go for it and give it your best go. If this is a paid shoot, you really need to get your hands on the right gear. Product photography is all about the lighting. If you're near a reasonably large city, you can probably rent the necessary lighting equipment without too much difficulty. Reflectors don't have to be fancy; large pieces of white Coroplast or posterboard work well.

This is product photography, and location product photography. It can be a very difficult process. If this is a 'freebie for a friend' shoot, go for it and give it your best go. If this is a paid shoot, you really need to get your hands on the right gear. Product photography is all about the lighting. If you're near a reasonably large city, you can probably rent the necessary lighting equipment without too much difficulty. Reflectors don't have to be fancy; large pieces of white Coroplast or posterboard work well.

Its a freebie. I'm 2 1/2 hours away from Minneapolis. Nothin with in driving distance today lol!

Most reactions

Back