Tips for shooting at the zoo?

shelby16

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys!

So, I'm practicing my skills at the zoo this weekend and wanted to get your tips for getting high quality photos at the zoo. As you guys know, that means a lot of fenced/glass enclosures - so what is your best advice for getting clear shots through these?

Thanks! :)
Shelby

With a fence, shoot between the bars/wires. With glass, get your lens very close to it.

With a fence, shoot between the bars/wires. With glass, get your lens very close to it.
Thank you! Will do.
Are there any tricks to getting a good angle?

Last edited:
For shooting through fences, a long lens held right up to the fence, aimed at a subject far from the other side of that fence, will pretty much remove the appearance of the fence.

fast enough shutter speed - to reduce blur.
small enough aperture - to increase DOF and IQ.
isolated movement - to reduce shake.

Depending on light and how long of a zoom I use I sometimes use the 2s self timer, to reduce camera shake. So I click steady myself, and then the the picture gets taken.

Be aware that some animals spit. A long way.

There are patterns to animal activity. You may want to go more than once to see if the animals you're interested in are more active in the morning or some other time. The guides and keepers can give you that information if you ask.

Pro tip: Climbing into animal enclosures will prevent having fences and bars in your shots.

Pro tip: Climbing into animal enclosures will prevent having fences and bars in your shots.

It's well-established that if your pictures aren't good enough... you're not close enough! :)

Pro tip #2: use a fast-enough shutter speed to compensate for the camera movement coming from the animal chewing on your arm.

Take a monopod. Not only will it reduce camera shake but can be used as a weapon in extreme cases. Those zoo keepers can get very testy when you are climbing into the lion enclosures.

Large Heavy cameras are best. They reduce blur from shutter movements and can be used as a blunt object for when the Tigers get hungry.

Edit: Long lenses are useful if the animals are going to be far away, plus they work as great handles for a nice digital hasselblad club :rolleyes:

All the above is great advice but they seem to have missed one VERY important rule.

If you are going to shoot at the zoo, you should use a silencer to reduce the sound of the shot. And as an added bonus, it is suggested to use a laser sight to make sure you only shoot the intended animal and not any innocent bystanders (people).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back