tips on buying a used camera, from craigslist etc.

I honestly don't know what that combination is worth on the used market right now; it seems like a good deal to me. The fact that there's a picture does lend some credibility...

Buying a used camera: First, go on line, and read the manual and understand the basics: How to turn on the camera, change a lens, take a picture, change modes, etc. When you meet the seller, look over the camera carefully, look for obvious damage, cracks, chips, etc. Look carefully at the lens mount and the backs and fronts of each lens. Bring an appropriate memory card with you and take some basic sample pictures with both lenses, review them on the LCD to make sure that they look okay. Ask the seller for the camera's history (where/when bought, reason for selling, use, # of shutter actuations)... If you get any sort of bad feeling about the seller or the gear, WALK AWAY!

Not the deal of the century, but not bad. Both of the lenses sell used for btw 75-100.00 each, so you would get the body for 200- 250 or so used. I would prefer a 30D over an XS as it should be in the same price range, but thats my opinion. Its 400.00, so its a relatively small investment. Just go through the camera, make sure all functions work. Check both lenses, run through the apertures on them both, make sure they focus/zoom smooth (50mm 1.8 are not a great one for this, as their focus rings sucks donkey butt). Nothing loose in there. look for any excessive wear. They are a pretty entry level camera, so its not like it was used professionally for any length of time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back