To Buy or Not Buy a DLSR

yensid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hiya everyone! I love photography, and my favorite place to shoot at is Disney World. See, I'm going next month and then again this summer, and I've been on the fence about buying a DSLR for awhile now. Right now I'm using what used to be my dad's camera. It's a Canon Powershot SD790 IS.

I'm only fourteen, but I'm doing a 365 this year because I've really gotten interested in learning new photography techniques. Lately I've found myself frustrated with my camera because I can't do a lot of the things I'm learning about, like changing the aperture, getting good long exposure shots, etc.

What I'm asking is- should I buy a DSLR now or wait until I've gotten a bit older and more experienced with photography? I'm not even sure where to start if I do decide to get a DSLR camera. Which would be a good beginners camera that's not too pricey but can last me a good while?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

~yensid

Thank you for the help everyone! Now that I've read everyone's answers, I'm seriously considering which DLSR camera to buy. Right now I'm debating between the Nikon D3000 (I could get a bundle with the camera, tripod, bag, two DVDs, two SD cards, and NIKOR 55-200mm zoom lens and 18-55mm zoom lens, all for $419 from Walmart) and the Nikon D3100 (camera and 18-55mm lens for $447 from Walmart, but I do like the video and live screen option), but I've also heard that the Nikon D5100 is nice (I could get that factory refurbished for $480 on cameta.com). Most Canon cameras look as though they are a little bit more expensive, and although I do want to get a good camera for my money's worth I'm more comfortable in the $400 range.

Even though I'm still a little bit hesitant to get a DSLR (there's a part of me that's saying, "just be happy with your point and shoot!") I'm excited to ~hopefully~ get one and start learning! Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:
Hey! Heres my advice, start young! The younger the better, I had no clue what I was doing when I first got my dSLR but now that ive had it for 2 years its amazing. I would start off with a Canon t3i. Very good beginners dSLR and its pretty cheap as far as these types of cameras go.

Hey! Heres my advice, start young!

I'll second that. If you have the ability to afford a good camera and you enjoy photography then by all means get one :)
Starting early is always a great thing and even a very basic DSLR has a lot of growth room and potential. If you've already felt limited by the powershot then a DSLR is an ideal step up.

It sounds like you're ready for more than what you can do with a point 'n shoot. I've done well buying used from a reputable dealer like KEH (where you can always sell/trade-in too if you find what you bought isn't quite meeting your needs).

Maybe look online at different manufacturers' websites to get an idea what you might want and what the price range is for various cameras; then go to stores where you can look at and handle various cameras to get a feel for what might work best for you.

For next month's trip you might need to consider if you're comfortable enough with a new camera to take it or take the PowerShot; then by summer you might have gotten the hang of the new camera enough to take it with you. (Or maybe take along your current camera as a back-up). Have fun shopping for a new camera!

Find a good used camera that you can get to learn with Nikon D40, or D70 are good starting places.... if you have a bigger budget there are others. Cannons are good as well but I don't use them to advise

Find a good used camera that you can get to learn with Nikon D40, or D70 are good starting places.... if you have a bigger budget there are others. Cannons are good as well but I don't use them to advise

I think you'll be hard pressed to take a photo with a cannon...

Canon however, might be a different story. ;-)

Similar to the Nikons that Mully listed, canon has the XSi, XTi, and T1i to name a few. Nikon or canon, you can't go wrong.

My advise is get a DSLR, the best camera you can with the best lens you can (I assume dad will help).
Its amazing a guy as young as you is already excited over photography.

Good luck and remember always to enjoy this hobby!

I'd get the DSLR. I wasn't able to afford one at your age, but I got a bridge type camera because I wanted the manual settings. It's definitely worth it to have the DSLR. Honestly, if you have a time that you don't know what settings to use and are in a hurry, just flip it to auto, which is what you have now, anyway. ;) Once you start, though, you probably won't like auto much anymore. I just get mad at my camera because it exposed the picture wrong. :lol:

Saw this on walmart and should keep you going for time until you're ready serious about photography. The video tutorials would come in handy for newbies. You can't get a better deal for a brand new camera. Of course you can look for used gear also. But for total newbies and those with a minimal budget, I'd recommend this. But if budget is really a concern, Fuji bridge cameras with manual controls would be a good start. They usually cost half the price ofthe Nikon bundle.

Nikon D3000 10.2 MP Digital SLR Camera Kit (includes bag and 8GB SD card) with Tripod and 16GB SD Card: Digital Cameras : Walmart.com

PS Perhaps yiu can ask your folks to give you some errands so you can pay for the bundle. ;)

Thank you for the help everyone! Now that I've read everyone's answers, I'm seriously considering which DLSR camera to buy. Right now I'm debating between the Nikon D3000 (I could get a bundle with the camera, tripod, bag, two DVDs, two SD cards, and NIKOR 55-200mm zoom lens and 18-55mm zoom lens, all for $419 from Walmart) and the Nikon D3100 (camera and 18-55mm lens for $447 from Walmart, but I do like the video and live screen option), but I've also heard that the Nikon D5100 is nice (I could get that factory refurbished for $480 on cameta.com). Most Canon cameras look as though they are a little bit more expensive, and although I do want to get a good camera for my money's worth I'm more comfortable in the $400 range.

Even though I'm still a little bit hesitant to get a DSLR (there's a part of me that's saying, "just be happy with your point and shoot!") I'm excited to ~hopefully~ get one and start learning! Thanks again for the help!

My tuppence worth is to go for the DSLR. I'd used high end P&S for years and when I finally went DSLR...well...it's night and day. Go for it, you can't go wrong.

Dslrs don't have to be expensive, I'd suggest looking for a d80 on eBay. $300 will get one with a kit lens. The d70 is even cheaper but the tiny LCD screen can be a bit annoying.

If u want something even cheaper check out a nikom d1h, don't let the low 2.7 megapixel number fool you, it takes awesome photos and can be had for as little as $150. One great thing about the older pro cameras is that they work perfectly with inexpensive manual focus lenses.

Dont go with the D3000, get the D3100 its got better low light performence.

I'd look into the coolpix p7700... It's a bit pricey ($450) but it will give you full manual controls, amazing optical zoom, and fantastic image quality... The camera takes great video and has some fun creative modes. It's a great pro point and shoot. And the bonus is it fits in your pocket (kinda). I think this will be the camera that makes or breaks your interest in photography and if you grow out of the hobby, you'll always have a really nice camera that you can take anywhere and do anything with. I could be wrong though. I have a D5000, D600, and an N90 (all slr), and I absolutely love my P7700. I bought it for my wife for Christmas and I think I use it more than she does.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back