To buy or not to buy a maxxum 5d

andkiich

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I really had my heart set on getting a Muxxum 5D. However, my confidence has waivered since reading the announcement that Konica-Minolta plans on gtting out of making cameras.
My questions are this:
1) Is it worth it for me to buy a camera from a company that is getting "out of the business"?
2) If I do, what kind of support can I expect. It appears that Sony might take over? Or Konica-Minolta might still support it, but the answers I found on the web are a bit nebulous at best.
3) I'm liking the maxxum digital line because the high ISO( I shoot a lot at night and indoors in poor lighting) and the built in AS in the camera body. Am I really going to miss not having the AS if I go with say a Nikon D70 or a Canon 350D? I know I can get IS in their lenses, but I liked the fact that I can get every lense with the Minolta as AS. My second choice at this point is a hard decision, as I believe that both camera systems previously mentioned are top notch.
Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Another thing to think about is the upgrade path. That camera should do well for you for a very long time, but if for some reason you eventually find that 1/4000 or 3fps isn't fast enough, any lenses you have bought for it most likely won't work on whatever new system you have to go to. If you have only one lens that isn't as much of a big deal, but if you have several, that can be a fair amount of money to replace glass.

I'm not trying to sway you either way. It's just something else to consider.

I never heard of minolta sensors having good ISO performance. Right now canon rules with it's 350/20D sensors and microlenses.

Keep in mind also that the 5d has no verticle grip capability. This really ticked me off when I found out.

It is a great camera. I have been able to get some amazing results from very low light. The AS is nice but is it really that necessary? The digital sensor may not be as forgiving as film, but I never has AS on my film cameras and I have not had problems. I frequently turn off the AS on my 5d as it can actually introduce blur itself especially in low light conditions.

I think I am sitting at 6,000 images through my 5d and it is going strong. Do I wish that I have waited for the D200 or something similar, yes. Will I try to sell it and get another camera? Yes, when I have the money laying around to buy another. That will be a long way off. I am getting married soon and I have a house to build first :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back