To the newbies...

paigew said:
I think you misunderstood my response. What I meant was that if newbie posts are so annoying then don't click or respond to them. And that I enjoy getting feedback from the senior members. I was saying that I only put up photos I am proud of, so, if they suck I would like to be told. Most people don't post photos for c&c that they themselves think are aweful. I would rather my photo be consturctively ripped apart than to have 10 "looks good" remarks. But threads like this make beginners feel like if we post too much we are a nuisance, when the reality is, if you are annoyed, then don't respond. It is not a requirement that you respond to posts. I actually took two (what I feel are my best so far) photos yesterday, but am not wanting to post for c&c because I don't want to 'annoy' people. I would love for someone more experienced to tell me "nope, not there yet" and open my eyes to what I am doing wrong. But instead I am looking for other forums to post on as to not "annoy" people who don't want to see newbie posts.

I belong to numerous forums and it's not really different anywheres else. You can post as much as you want - people may or may not reply. CC posts don't really bother me - it does get annoying when someone posts pictures from their first day and then get pissy when people tell them they aren't that good. You aren't going to annoy people by posting cc for advice. I think the whole jist of this thread was to actually do a little research and read other peoples threads. Also to look at other cc threads and figure out what you like/dislike about them. What is wrong with them? Etc. It helps to teach you to see colors accurately and it will help you in your own photography.

There is nothing wrong with posting for CC.

I find that teaching those that are growing in the field helps to reinforce as well as discover new things. Not everyone has patience for beginners but if you do the ideas can really start to bubble if you allow yourself the time and energy to help those that need and want it. If they don't want it or think they are better than you then that is their loss and short-sidedness.

I think you misunderstood my response. What I meant was that if newbie posts are so annoying then don't click or respond to them. And that I enjoy getting feedback from the senior members. I was saying that I only put up photos I am proud of, so, if they suck I would like to be told. Most people don't post photos for c&c that they themselves think are aweful. I would rather my photo be consturctively ripped apart than to have 10 "looks good" remarks. But threads like this make beginners feel like if we post too much we are a nuisance, when the reality is, if you are annoyed, then don't respond. It is not a requirement that you respond to posts. I actually took two (what I feel are my best so far) photos yesterday, but am not wanting to post for c&c because I don't want to 'annoy' people. I would love for someone more experienced to tell me "nope, not there yet" and open my eyes to what I am doing wrong. But instead I am looking for other forums to post on as to not "annoy" people who don't want to see newbie posts.

I think we are on the same page. When people post their shots and indicate what they were doing, or the effect they were going for, then I don't think anyone will see these as "annoying". The threads where people were reacting negatively are usually the ones with a whole bunch of (seemingly) unrelated photos in which there is a rather wide mixture of shooting styles and effects. These are difficult to comment on. On the other hand, if someone posts two photos with a difference between the two being explained by the photographer explaining what they were going for, then usually the comments are focused on the issue or technique being explored by the original poster. If you post your shots and explain the circumstances and what you found interesting or noteworthy about those shots, I'm sure you will get good C&C. Of course, this being the internet, you may always attract the attention of a flake or two, but those you can tune out. If in doubt, just check the prior commenting history of the person making the posts - this will give you an idea whether you should be paying much attention to the comments or not.

amen.

i'm obviously new.. and i do ask for advice.. imo there is no point to a forum if people don't communicate and ask. that's what the section is for.

that said... i probably spend an hour a day watching videos on youtube in regards to photography.
i am constantly googling and adding new links to my favorites with tutorials, online lessons, etc...
i have my manual in my camera case, AND digitally on my touchpad. and i read it.
i have my big old basic book of photography in the bathroom. and i read it.

i'm old, so it's taking a while for everything to sink it, but when something clicks and makes sense, BAM, i move on to the next subject :)

Me too, I also bought the "For Dummies" manual for my camera (the 7D) and found it extremely helpful. Adormama and You Tube are both excellent places for videos and how to's as well.

"Thank you, may I have another?"

Love it!! And yes you are right!

i probably spend an hour a day watching videos on youtube in regards to photography.
i am constantly googling and adding new links to my favorites with tutorials, online lessons, etc...
i have my manual in my camera case, AND digitally on my touchpad. and i read it.
i have my big old basic book of photography in the bathroom. and i read it.

Exactly! There is SO much good stuff on Youtube about taking photos, lighting, etc. and it's all FREE! Use the resources at your disposal!

paigew said:

DO post. Don't feel like your being annoying, that is what the site is for. Just do a little homework before you post a picture. So we feel like our critique is being truly helpful instead of in one ear and out the other.

Just another thought I might add is that once you start to know the basics for a good photo, you start critiquing EVERYTHING! Every time I look through a magazine and see a picture I like I ask myself "why? What is capturing my attention, where is the lighting coming from, where is the photographer, where is the subject, what could be better about this picture, what would I have done differently?" Analysing other peoples work helps improve mine. So again DO post for cc but also look into other forms of research if you would like to learn.

Awhile ago we had a 'Judge the picture above you' thread... We should start that back up, I think it could really cut down the clutter of all the new posts and also help all the newbies out by seeing other cc and having to do their own cc.

JMBriggs said:
Just another thought I might add is that once you start to know the basics for a good photo, you start critiquing EVERYTHING! Every time I look through a magazine and see a picture I like I ask myself "why? What is capturing my attention, where is the lighting coming from, where is the photographer, where is the subject, what could be better about this picture, what would I have done differently?" Analysing other peoples work helps improve mine. So again DO post for cc but also look into other forms of research if you would like to learn.

Awhile ago we had a 'Judge the picture above you' thread... We should start that back up, I think it could really cut down the clutter of all the new posts and also help all the newbies out by seeing other cc and having to do their own cc.

That thread was fun. It was still going on not too long ago but it must've gotten buried.

I'm the same way with critiquing everything i see. And those damn catchlights - I can't keep my eyes off them!! ;)

MTVision said:
That thread was fun. It was still going on not too long ago but it must've gotten buried.

I'm the same way with critiquing everything i see. And those damn catchlights - I can't keep my eyes off them!! ;)

I know I loved that thread. If I was on my laptop I would go dig it up and post on it... But I'm on my android.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back