To the newbies...

JMBriggs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I am posting this because after looking at around 20+ cc posts I found you all need the same advice. Also because of the huge influx of newbs, the regulars seem to have taken a break from posting cc so I feel like not many of you are seeing good example pictures.
When I first got my camera I was in the same boat you are. (At least some of you...) I thought my pictures were great! I had this awesome new camera with pretty high resolution and blah blah blah... BUT after a bot I realized I wanted to be GREAT at photography not just tale snapshots... SO this is my advice to all of you who are still reading.
1. READ THE MANUAL!!! So many people don't even know what their camera is capable of... I learned a crap load when I read mine. It really will help your shooting to know your camera.
2. Google is your friend! Instead of asking the people on the site who obviously know what they are doing to cc 100+ posts when the cc will all be quite similar. Start googleing ****!
What to Google...
- how to improve your photography
- rules of good photography
- how to take good photos
Google has hundreds of websites with plethoras of information on how to improve.
3. Grow a pair. Some of the people on this forum are photography gurus. They are Damn good at what they do. And for them to take the time to even look at your stuff is pretty freaking awesome of them. So when they tell you your picture is crappy, smile and say "thank-you, may I have another?" Because they KNOW and if you know its crap then you know when you need to work harder. (And get on Google!!!)
4. Instead of typing, READ... If you go through my posts you'll see I only have a few over 100... And the ones I was the op on are pretty few. But I spend about 30 min or so on here each day reading, and gathering information on how to improve... You learn more that way.

Well I hope this will help all of you. And I can't emphasize Google enough so I'll just end with...

Peace out, girl scouts....

Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google!!!!!!

Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google, Google!!!!!!

You are so CUTE when you talk baby-talk! lol! :)

Good advice! :)

cgipson1 said:
You are so CUTE when you talk baby-talk! lol! :)

Good advice! :)

Ahhhh... I know right. I'm gonna get my big girl pants on soon though. Gotta go get shnockered to bring in 2012!

amen.

i'm obviously new.. and i do ask for advice.. imo there is no point to a forum if people don't communicate and ask. that's what the section is for.

that said... i probably spend an hour a day watching videos on youtube in regards to photography.
i am constantly googling and adding new links to my favorites with tutorials, online lessons, etc...
i have my manual in my camera case, AND digitally on my touchpad. and i read it.
i have my big old basic book of photography in the bathroom. and i read it.

i'm old, so it's taking a while for everything to sink it, but when something clicks and makes sense, BAM, i move on to the next subject :)

Well said! While I have been watching videos, googling, etc. I've still posted pictures that we're not up to snuff or I didn't understand what I was trying to do.

If you look at the pictures I posted you can tell I'm still pretty clueless too. I just feel (and I am sure many others do too) that if your not gonna put in the effort to try to learn on your own, why should I take the time to teach you the baby steps that you can find online. To those of you that are doing self study, I say most definitely stick around! Once you have got the basics down there is still a plethora of knowledge these gurus can teach you! I have learned soooo much that I would have NEVER learned unless I had interned for a pro... and not just a "pro" but a true Pro. ( = I am so thankful to the oldies on this site.

So, I know I'm new here and all, and haven't even posted a single picture for cc, but honestly, why is there a beginners forum and gallery if you're telling everyone to Google for inforrmation and learn something about comp first? Isn't that the point of this place? Truly, I can see what you mean from some of the posts for cc I've seen -- which look worse than some people's family snapshots -- but that's gonna happen. Hopefully, it's the minority but your advice is bound to put people off and have them not want to post any pictures at all. And frankly, some of the cc remarks I've read are pretty lame.

Basically the reason I'm here.

Get more knowledge and experience, produce that in my execution and have fun.

vandal said:
So, I know I'm new here and all, and haven't even posted a single picture for cc, but honestly, why is there a beginners forum and gallery if you're telling everyone to Google for inforrmation and learn something about comp first? Isn't that the point of this place? Truly, I can see what you mean from some of the posts for cc I've seen -- which look worse than some people's family snapshots -- but that's gonna happen. Hopefully, it's the minority but your advice is bound to put people off and have them not want to post any pictures at all. And frankly, some of the cc remarks I've read are pretty lame.

Is it really that hard to put some effort into your own learning? Is it really unreasonable to think that people interested in photography would want to learn exposure and composition? I've learned a lot on here from just reading though the threads. But I've learned even more doing my own research. Plus it's quicker to use google then post a question here and wait for someone to answer if anybody does

Everything in the OP's post is great advice!

I'd venture that you've also learned a lot by looking at some pretty bad beginner photos and reading the C&C in the threads. :)

vandal said:

Is it really that hard to put some effort into your own learning? Is it really unreasonable to think that people interested in photography would want to learn exposure and composition? I've learned a lot on here from just reading though the threads. But I've learned even more doing my own research. Plus it's quicker to use google then post a question here and wait for someone to answer if anybody does

Everything in the OP's post is great advice!

MTVision beat me to it! If people are not willing to learn the things you can from google, why should anyone take time out of their day to give them cc?

I find this type of thread off-putting too. I mean, if the 'elders' don't want to respond to the influx of newbie posts then they don't have to click. It sort of makes it seem like newbie posts/ c&c are not welcome on this forum and that you need to be a certain level before you begin posting. Yes there is google, but is google going to tell you your photo sucks? Nope....and I would bet that most people who post pics truely think they are good when they post them (kinda like the bad singers on american idol :D) I am grateful to the knowledgeable peeps on this forum who are here to help. They obviously enjoy helping others learn or else as I said, they wouldn't post.

naptime said:
amen.

i'm obviously new.. and i do ask for advice.. imo there is no point to a forum if people don't communicate and ask. that's what the section is for.

that said... i probably spend an hour a day watching videos on youtube in regards to photography.
i am constantly googling and adding new links to my favorites with tutorials, online lessons, etc...
i have my manual in my camera case, AND digitally on my touchpad. and i read it.
i have my big old basic book of photography in the bathroom. and i read it.

i'm old, so it's taking a while for everything to sink it, but when something clicks and makes sense, BAM, i move on to the next subject :)

It's sinking in a hell of a lot quicker for you than some others.... ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back