Tokina 116 or Nikon 10.5?

JohnnyL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, I'm in a dilemma choosing between the Tokina 11-16 and Nikon 10.5 Fisheye. These days I shoot very much only skateboarding so a fisheye is a big addition to the gear I have. My worry is , if I lose my job as a skate photographer later , I probably won't shoot as much skateboarding anymore and having all my wide angle shots fishy isn't as nice. Then I would regret not getting the Tokina.

I will add that the company I shoot for will be paying for this lens I buy. If they buy the Tokina , I can still buy a cheaper manual focus fisheye , Samyang 8mm f3.5. This way , I get both effects but I have to fork out my $300 for the fisheye. If they buy the Nikon 10.5 , it'll end there. I won't buy the Tokina.

Which way would be a better way for me to go?

I would definitely go with the setup that allows you to have two lenses--one an ultra-wide zoom or a fairly rare and uncommon fisheye zoom + the 8mm. Sure, the Nikon 10.5 fisheye would be nice, but it would come at a very high cost in terms of flexibility and lost focal length ranges. In this case, for skate photography, where the "ultimate" in image quality is not as important as framing the shot right, I think the lower-cost option, with dual lenses, would be a far better route to go.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't want to get the Tokina 10-17 because I rather the F2.8 of the 11-16 or 10.5. If I used Canon , I would consider it but I'm using Nikon.

Thanks Derrel , I was thinking the same , just not very sure.

Most reactions

Back