Tones

magicmonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Took this today hoping for some nice B&W tones, worked out ok I guess but not what I was hoping, does anyone have any advice to offer on shooting for B&W?

thumb_Telegraph_pole.jpg

Thanks For Looking :)

My problem is that I have no idea how to find shots that work with B&W, this is about the best I got from a days worth of shooting with the intention of making B&W prints, I was really hoping for advice on shooting for B&W...

The only real difference is lack of color, but this can have a bit impact on the image depending on what it is. If you are shooting for b&w, you need to learn to ignore color in the composition and see the scene as areas of light and dark. I think it does require a better understanding of light, because you don't have color to fall back on to give it pop. But aside from that, you still need the basics of composition that make up a good image.

In the above image, I dont think color or b&w would be the defining factor. There are some cool elements, and I see why it drew your eye, but it isn't that strong in it's composition. It's not a bad photo, but I think that's the source of your frustration.

You can carry a red filter along with you (or any colored filter for that matter), which you can use to view the scene as a monotone scene. You don't have to attach to your lens. You can just hold it to your eye and look through it. You'll see all red (or whatever color your filter is), which obviouly is not black and white, but effectively removes effect of color from the scene.

markc said:
Seeing a lot of "hope you don't mind"s on the board. I hate to be a stickler, but the rules are to ask first.

Seems that there is an "OTE" at the end of his signature......

Digital Matt said:
You can carry a red filter along with you (or any colored filter for that matter), which you can use to view the scene as a monotone scene. You don't have to attach to your lens. You can just hold it to your eye and look through it. You'll see all red (or whatever color your filter is), which obviouly is not black and white, but effectively removes effect of color from the scene.
Good idea, Matt. With digital, you don't need a red filter because you can adjust color conversion in s/w, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to just leave it on, either. If you are shooting film, I think a yellow or red filter is a good idea, anyway. If you find the red too annoying to look through, try yellow.

It also seems to me that if someone wants an honest critique of their photos, any offered suggestions might be accompanied with photos and instruction demonstrating the effects.
That way the critique has substance and the photographer has a basis for judgment.

Only my thoughts……..

Thanks for the set of instructions, they're really good! My convert to B&W was just done by changing the mode to duotone and setecting back and whichever shade of gray I thought worked well, this has really brought out the tones! Still nothing I can do about the comp though :)

here's a side by side:

Original:
thumb_Telegraph_pole.jpg

other one:
thumb_Telegraph_pole_2.jpg

A red filter isn't such a bad idea, it'll have to wait a month or so though as I'm blowing my camera budget this month...

BTY.....I got those instruction from another member's post in another thread. There's a lot of room for tweaking, that's what I liked about it.

Glad to be helpful....

Matt has a point.....

Not every B&W should have the same tonal qualities. One will jump of the page with contrast and brightness, while another will be very soft using blurs, filter, etc. The final product should reflect what you are trying to achieve with the subject matter.

Color is a horse of another color….. :lol:

Most reactions

Back