Took a pic of this model, what can be improved

I looked at the photo again tonight on my phone and I think you could greatly improve it by cropping in more tightly. In my opinion this would look best as a half body pose cropped at the bottom just a little bit below his hands, or at the mid thigh. As shown initially I don't like your crop below the knees and above the feet. I think I would crop a little bit of space off of the left side so he has a little bit more room to visually look into. As shown, I think he is a little bit too far to the right side of the frame, and by eliminating some of the open space on the left of the frame, you would improve the compositional weight of his body within the frame space.

Things may help before the click

First thing I will do is learn this

"Photography composition - give subject with space" <-- Google this
Better do it when you compose the photo. But you can try to crop it afterward.

2nd thing will be background selection. Regardless whether you have a fast lens or long lens. Learn and practice more about subject and background. Now you know what you lens can do, try more and see. That includes where you want to place your subject and the camera.
On top of that, pay attention to objects surround your subject. Like the traffic light above the subject head, or the face (light color object) and white hat right next to the shoulders of the subject. Those are distraction, they draw the viewer attention away from your subject.

Try to level the photo. Pay attention at the vertical lines in the photo. You can also do that during POST, but try to do it before you press the shutter button.

Take a look at the scene and see which meter mode is better. Sometimes, I will spot meter an object in the frame I believe it will give me better result and then lock the exposure, recompose, focus and take the photo. Grass, palm of a hand, sometimes face or gray rock (depends on situation) maybe my choice of subject I meter with.

Of course, typical POST is also important.
- Cropping, rotation or perspective distortion adjustment
- WB
- Shadow
- Highlight

I believe this is what you can improve based on this photo.

The traffic light is one of the worst things about the background, in my opinion. The person in the blue sweatpants is also quite distracting.

Reactions: Dao
Hi Sharpshooterr.

Yes, my posts are real. I subscribe to this forum because I thoroughly want to learn and hone my photography skills, not troll. What is even the point of that.
Anyways, I realized some my post could be interpreted otherwise, but I promise I mean well. This post I definitely want image critiquing & feedback. thanks!
In the future, please post or upload your images directly into TPF. We discourage our members from having to click links leading to other sites. You've gotten a lot of clicks from here over to your site recently, a site that has a store and sells an app, and is also apparently hiring.

You'll continue to get C&C and feedback on your work, posted right here. Thanks!

uh, i don't owned imgur. imgur is free to use. That wasn't even my intention, but yes i will upload my future images directly.

I see that nobody has yet offered an edit of their own. The OP asked what could be done in PS to fix this portrait, so some of you PS guys might consider giving him an edit.

I see that nobody has yet offered an edit of their own. The OP asked what could be done in PS to fix this portrait, so some of you PS guys might consider giving him an edit.

I offered to do a recrop as an example and he didn’t say yes. So best to ask first!
SS

Ok, is this you volunteering your time? We're waiting.

I offered to do a recrop as an example and he didn’t say yes. So best to ask first!
SS

Yes, you're very welcome to freely use the photo as you wish

SS

Wait........ what? This isn't your photo, but you're telling us we can us it as we wish?

I know the commenter above said photoshop doesn't help a poor photograph, so I guess what can i do to get a better photograph?

Posing, framing, composition, lighting, location, DOF, mood/emotion, communicate story, etc... Most of these things you can't do in Photoshop.

Sure, it can help save an image, but if you wanna take good photos, you could start with the basic principles of art, basic technical aspects of photography, and try to put it all together on how to use a camera in order to capture the image you want.

Luckily there are a lot of rules-of-thumb when it comes to photography that generally work, and learning/practicing these will help you on your journey.

SS

Wait........ what? This isn't your photo, but you're telling us we can us it as we wish?

Is there any reason you think that?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back