Toy photography...?

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This has been on my mind lately - I recall seeing pictures (a specific example: a shot taken from a window of a hotel down onto the street, subject was two cars) where the subject almost looks as though it is a toy - brilliantly in focus and sharp, to the point where it almost does not look real. I don't think it is HDR, but I could be wrong. I don't have the slightest idea (sorry if I am being vague) of how this was shot, what it is called, and therefore what to look up to provide an example.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Tilt-shift photography...which can be faked in photoshop.

4613407015_d6ef5f02e0_o.jpg

4513547644_9406818ebc_o.jpg

4495334381_cfa79f1c43_o.jpg

Last edited:
"miniature faking" is exactly what I meant. While I am investigating this, any more specific resources than google? Perhaps something on this forum - the search function did not produce much :l

edit: more specifically, miniature simulation with tilt/shift ; I understand the shallow DoF, but not how it relates to using a tilt/shift

Did you google Tilt Shift Photography?

Yeah.. I found a wiki on it which lead me to Miniature simulation.. I just don't understand why one would opt for using Tilt Shift to create miniature simulation ?.?

Because it is the effect of a Tilt Shift lens that creates that illusion.

This interests me greatly. Any recommendation on a tilt shift lens/adapter? The lenses all seem to be WAY out of my pricerange atm, and I see some lensbaby "transformers", but I don't know what is worth the money. Need something w/ F mount, as I shoot all Nikon.

It is specifically due to lens tilt. Shift has nothing to do with it, so you do not need an adapter that will allow shift. Tilting a lens allows the plane of focus to be manipulated according to the 'hinge rule' also known as the 'Scheimpflug Principle'. You might want to look those two up to help understand what is going on. (Wikipedia entry)

Notice that an elevated point of view also helps with the illusion.

Photoshop simulations are often obvious as fakes because the zone in focus is not on a plane, but in a band across the image which contains in-focus elements that are not on a common plane.

Those of us who do take pictures of toys (and other products) for a living often use the hinge rule to keep everything in focus - hence making toys look more real. Again, point of view is important - in this case a low POV.

Best,
Helen

It is specifically due to lens tilt. Shift has nothing to do with it. Tilting a lens allows the plane of focus to be manipulated according to the 'hinge rule' also known as the 'Scheimpflug Principle'. You might want to look those two up to help understand what is going on. (Wikipedia entry)

Notice that an elevated point of view also helps with the illusion.

Those of us who do take pictures of toys (and other products) for a living often use the hinge rule to keep everything in focus - hence making toys look more real. Again, point of view is important - in this case a low POV.

Best,
Helen

Thank you very much, that makes a lot more sense now.

Would a Lensbaby tilt transformer suffice? I can afford that.

I've never used a Lensbaby, but I guess that it might. Is it restricted in terms of which lenses can be used and which cameras it can be used on, if infinity focus is to be achieved? I'd have to look into that, but hopefully someone who has experience will join in.

You don't need the kind of optical quality that the expensive solutions provide.

I don't know how much a Transformer tilts compared to a regular Lensbaby ... but a regual Lensbaby doesn't really tilt enough to do this...A crop sensor would allow it to tilt a little more though - I can't tilt mine much (full frame) before the edges of the image circle start to become visible. Not sure if it would be enough though, even with the crop sensor.

It seams feasible to reproduce this in post.. and (considering I already have Photoshop) that is free. Once I get this new laptop organized I'll upload some stuff - and I'll shoot some miniatures for C&C.

Last edited:
This interests me greatly. Any recommendation on a tilt shift lens/adapter? The lenses all seem to be WAY out of my pricerange atm, and I see some lensbaby "transformers", but I don't know what is worth the money. Need something w/ F mount, as I shoot all Nikon.

I did look it up and read it, plus a few more sites. Thanks for the tip and interesting new words and names. ;)

Here's the link for the Photoshop Tilt / Shift effect. It works OK and doesn't cost anything for people who want to experiment.

Tilt Shift Tutorial: Make Fake Miniature Effect in Photoshop

Most reactions

New Topics

Back