TPF Across America - The Journey of One Lens Across the USA - Round 2

I have a 50 1.8 I will donate to keep this going... let me know if anyone would like that.

If you start a new project I'd be happy to participate. As far as people getting the lens and not sending it on all I can say is I may be an a**hole but I'm not that kind of a**hole. Last time I posted Kazooie was trying to get it and finally did. I think it's only moved down like 3 names in nearly a year, seems pretty ludicrous.

....seems to me there are more people interested in this sort of project continuing than the 2 that are holding it up.Mark doesn't want to respond at all,and seemingly TheSloth doesn't either.......I say start a new project,but maybe lay out some requirements.......what they are,I don't know,but this is dead in the water.

My suggestion: Require a substantial deposit before you get the lens.

I would definitely go along with this...2 points,tho,not everyone can tie up funds,and how to pass the baton IE:Funds/Lens....Obviously,the honor system has flaws..A vested interest of some sort.
As for the likes of TheBasedSloth....I have a great deal of disdain for the type of person that could just let a project,like this,lie dormant,in shambles,like this.If it was financial hardship,many here stepped up.To not respond is my biggest issue.I can not think of an acceptable excuse for that.

I will provide the lens, if someone else manages the thread.

Choosing who will be on the list could be a job best suited for someone who spends more time here than I do. Someone who knows how active the participants are would be best.

In my opinion, that kind of information is a pretty good predictor of how likely that person is to stay in contact and pass the lens along.

So maybe a moderator can start the next thread? (Let me know, and I'll send the glass off. :) )

I will provide the lens, if someone else manages the thread.

Choosing who will be on the list could be a job best suited for someone who spends more time here than I do. Someone who knows how active the participants are would be best.

In my opinion, that kind of information is a pretty good predictor of how likely that person is to stay in contact and pass the lens along.

So maybe a moderator can start the next thread? (Let me know, and I'll send the glass off. :) )

For sure, I'm in this time (its a Nikon lens, right? or at least with an adapter?)

I'll be happy to help out where I can if needed.

+1 on the deposit too...something like a moderate but manageable deposit to stave off those who aren't truly interested in the project (say like in the $40-50 range or something similar) in order to be just be added to the list, then once you are finished with it and send it on (with confirmation either from the next person receiving the lens, or a receipt or something), then you get a full refund of the deposit....we could also do something like, deducting $5 from the deposit for every week the lens is late being sent to the next person (then if we have any spare funds left over from deductions from people's deposits, we could either donate it to TPF for letting us host the project here or something like that...though hopefully everyone sends the lens on, and does it in a timely manner.) that way, if someone totally doesn't send it on, we can use their deposit money to buy a cheap used lens (which is why we'll want a moderate deposit amount) and continue the project (we can make the new project less about 'one specific lens' and more about just 'the world of TPF' or something like that)...that's my thoughts at least.

Last edited:
Yes, this is a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 (Older version not labelled as G nor D.)

I do not have a conversion Nikon to Canon adapter.

On the deposit we could have the first person Paypal MK3Brent the $50 and then each subsequent person sends their deposit to the person with the lens who in turn mails the lens once they have the deposit. I suppose someone could really be a dick and ask for the deposit and then not send the lens but I think that would be pretty extreme. Doing it that way would mean no one was out their deposit more than a week or two. I'd also suggest that when it's time to pass the lens whomever has it contact the next person directly, if there's no response within 5-7 days they move to the next person on the list. Just my .02.

On the deposit we could have the first person Paypal MK3Brent the $50 and then each subsequent person sends their deposit to the person with the lens who in turn mails the lens once they have the deposit. I suppose someone could really be a dick and ask for the deposit and then not send the lens but I think that would be pretty extreme. Doing it that way would mean no one was out their deposit more than a week or two. I'd also suggest that when it's time to pass the lens whomever has it contact the next person directly, if there's no response within 5-7 days they move to the next person on the list. Just my .02.

I think it would probably be better to have one active person be over all the deposits, preferably the person over the whole project and is a responsible member (since everything would likely have to be done via paypal gift to avoid the fees and such)....remember we also thought that 'no one would just NOT send the lens along' on the original 2 projects...and it has happened multiple times, adding a sum of cash with it would just compound the problem, if someone is willing to steal (be it on purpose or not) an old and heavily used lens, what would stop them from doing the same thing WITH a lump of cash...

if people are worried about being out the deposit any significant length of time, we could do something like only have 4-5 spots open on the list at a time, so that when one person sends it on, a new spot on the list is open for a new participant, that way no one is like 40th in line and has to wait a year to get their deposit back, and people shouldn't be waiting any more that say 1 month from the time they give the deposit to the time they get it back, give or take....

Personally, I think the whole Lens Across America idea is great.

Unfortunately, it appears that it takes just one person who doesn't care to ruin the whole project. Kinda like a handful of malcontents who didn't like ObamaCare shutting the entire US gubbamint down for a couple weeks.

I nominate sparky also... ;)

So honestly thebasedsloth stole the lens?

I messaged him back in October explaining that I was in his area for a few months and I'd be happy to pick it up. He messaged back saying he was waiting to hear from Mark. Personally, it's just straight up shady. I'm completely mind blown when someone doesn't have $5 to mail to the next town over (he and Mark are in neighboring towns) and even more blown when Mark makes his quarterly thread appearance to inform us how busy he has been. It's lack of time management. If you have time to sleep, you have time to send a PM on an internet site.

Most reactions

Back