Train Terminal in Black and White

SamSpade1941

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
$union_station_arch_by_samspade1941-d58zncx.jpg

$union_station_profile_by_samspade1941-d58znzp.jpg

I like it. But then I like train stations. This one looks familiar to me, but I can't place it.

I like it. But then I like train stations. This one looks familiar to me, but I can't place it.

Thank you , this particular station is in the small town of Chickasha Ok, most likely the reason it looks familiar to you is because almost all of these small Union Station terminals were built on the same set of plans. So many are very similar if not identical in a given time period. I love train station architecture and have numerous photos as well.

For the first shot, you should have been standing on centerline of the entrance. The off-center camera position makes it look twisted, even though we know it is not. If you do this again, you should pull back to include all of the entrance block. It is essentially square, but I like the portrait format here.

For the second shot, you should have included all of the roofline to the left. Also, the camera position is now on or close to the centerline of the entrance, but perhaps you should have moved left more to the middle of the whole building. Also, you nearly clipped the peak above the entrance, needs just a little bit of sky above there.

The digital "curse" is following you. The range of tone is not what we might see with film B&W.

Thanks Designer I will try that again the next time I am that area, and I know what you mean by the digital curse, it just does not reproduce black and white as well as film , I will say I have had better results since I have started using Nikon's Silver Efex, but I do agree digital does not faithfully reproduce monochrome as nicely .

Thanks Designer I will try that again the next time I am that area, and I know what you mean by the digital curse, it just does not reproduce black and white as well as film , I will say I have had better results since I have started using Nikon's Silver Efex, but I do agree digital does not faithfully reproduce monochrome as nicely .

I've been considering DxO FilmPack Version 3, supposed to mimic the look of various films, including B&W.

I've been considering DxO FilmPack Version 3, supposed to mimic the look of various films, including B&W.

Silver Efex does that also I am still playing with those filters. I personally think their tri x pan filter actually gives the images more grain that real tri x pan film has but some of the filters are nice nice. if you have not tried it there is a free demo. Also on on software has one you may try .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back