Traveling to Europe - help!

BuckeyeFoodie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Sorry this is so long, but I'm in need of some help from fellow photogs who travel.

So I am having a problem - I am traveling to Europe for the first time this summer, and even though my area of expertise is not classic architecture, of course I want to bring my camera. I'm going to be in Rome for two days, then Lake Como for five, Paris for two, and London for two.

My friend (also going on the trip) has declared that just carrying a backpack makes me both a "stupid tourist" and an automatic target for every pickpocket and mugger in Rome, thus putting her and the rest of our group in "mortal peril". I should add that she is basing her opinion off both the fact that I have never been to Europe but she has, and her idiot brother decided to go jogging alone at 11PM in Rome last summer and got mugged.

As recommended by a friend who has traveled extensively with cameras all over the world, my camera bag for this trip is a canvas knapsack-type backpack, not a shiny obvious camera bag. I am planning to bring my Nikon DSLR with a lens or two, a 35MM film, a Holga 120N, and since I typically hand-hold I'm only bringing a Gorillapod that can fold inside the bag.

All of my camera gear can be easily stored out of sight when not in use. I'm 99% certain that we are strictly sticking to typical tourist spots (Vatican, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Colosseum), we will be using a private car for transportation, and I will be in a group of 6 people. I have extensive experience shooting in large American cities, especially at night. I do not plan to go haring off by myself in the dark, I have the brains to ask someone to come with me if the best set-up for a shot is away from the group, and I know to beware bag-snatchers-on-vespas.

Again, sorry this is so long, but I think I am taking reasonable precautions to not make myself any more of a target than any other tourist (and I imagine plenty of them have DSLR-type cameras). What do you guys think?

Make sure you can lock every pocket and opening of the backpack ... and do so. Pickpockets prey on tourists at all the major tourist stops, not just Rome, but also Paris, et al.

Thieves, here in the US and abroad look for easy marks, pigeons ... tourists who's attention is everywhere but not on their valuables. Being with a group helps, but also be constantly aware of your environment. Keep a hand on your stuff at all times. Look at the sights but also keep an eye on all the people around you, even those behind you. Don't be paranoid ... but do be careful. The same precautions and situational awareness I am suggesting for Europe also use at home. I don't think a large European city is significantly any more or any less dangerous than a large US city.

(I used to travel around the world for work and I've lived in Central America, Asia, Africa and Europe.

Last edited:
I have travelled all over the world and always bring a camera. The travelling was what brought me to buy a FUJI HS 20 bridge camera. The more stuff you have the more can get stolen.
Dont be paranoid but be careful. Dont go jogging at 11pm in any strange town.

I am planning to bring my Nikon DSLR with a lens or two, a 35MM film, a Holga 120N, ..
I'm not what you'd call an expert traveller, but IMO you're going to get tired of carrying that much stuff all the time. Just take one camera and maybe two lenses. The 'Pod is an excellent idea, and won't add a lot of weight.

Last edited:
I have lived in Europe my entire life and have never been mugged or had anything stolen. Europe is a very safe place.

Obvious precautions: don't behave like an eejit, don't behave like a rich person, don't go into a back-street bar and explain how Americans are so much better (yes, Americans do that!), be aware of your surroundings and remember that you do not have a 'right' to photograph anything (but you can if you are polite).

My friend (also going on the trip) has declared that just carrying a backpack makes me both a "stupid tourist" and an automatic target for every pickpocket and mugger in Rome, thus putting her and the rest of our group in "mortal peril". I should add that she is basing her opinion off both the fact that I have never been to Europe but she has, and her idiot brother decided to go jogging alone at 11PM in Rome last summer and got mugged.
I cannot speak for Rome or Paris, but throughout the UK backpacks are common. Younger people in particular use smaller backpacks as their normal way of carrying a bag.

Obvious precautions: don't behave like an eejit, don't behave like a rich person, don't go into a back-street bar and explain how Americans are so much better (yes, Americans do that!), be aware of your surroundings and remember that you do not have a 'right' to photograph anything (but you can if you are polite).

Good advice! And can I add that I really hate some of my fellow American's sometime?

Just toured Europe this past May, with a side carry bag with 2 cams, with lenses. A side bag is easy to keep an eye on. If you sit with it try to wrap a strap on a leg or such. Buy a passport/ credit card/cash pouch that attaches around your neck and keep it inside your shirt/jacket/etc. $15-$20. You'll be doing a lot of walking, wear comfortable shoes. You may want to stash a small fold up unbrella into the camera bag. Don't forget your chargers. In some countries u made need to adapt from euro plugs to US.

To echo some of the previous posts in this thread, yep there are pickpockets and thieves out there. OTOH, be situationally aware, don't set stuff down, make sure you're not easy to exploit and you'll be fine.

First, Gary's point about pockets and containers that can be accessed in a crowd. You'll see tons of people with backpacks in Europe (and no, they aren't all American tourists). You're more likely to be identified as American for your clothes and mannerisms than b/c you've got a backpack. But you don't want to have to set stuff down in order to swap lens or make changes so use gear that allows to keep it on while you pull out the camera or change the lens. Additionally, you don't want a backpack with a bunch of pockets and zippers that will be holding your passport or money or a camera body--unless they're in front of you or in a sling by your side with your arm over it.

Second, it sounds like you're looking at 3 bodies. Even a pro might consider 3 bodies to be a bit much. I think you go with 1 body plus your phone camera. Figure on probably 2 lens: a wide angle (good for landscapes and interiors) that is fast. A zoom that allows you to shoot street photography or capture that detail in the fresco on the ceiling that is 100 feet above you (or those two lovers on the other side of the canal). You'll be in lots of low light situations so plan accordingly.

Third, the gorilla pod isn't bad but I think you may want to look at something like this (Platypod) instead: Amazon.com : Platypod Pro Max Plate Mini Tripod : Camera & Photo It will take up less space in your backpack, be more stable on a table, and allows for more options to stabilize. That said, I've traveled with a gorillapod and done well. You'll have so many lovely shots of urban lights at night where you will want a rock solid tripod.

Fourth, think about filters. Definitely a circular polarizer for your landscape lens. Maybe a GND for sunrises/sunsets. And also an adjustable NDF for shooting fountains or flowing water.

Also, consider storage and backup. If you're a serious shooter you'll be doing between 150-600 photos per day. Back 'em up every night, don't just have a bunch of SD cards that you carry around.

Finally, think (and plan) like a photographer. Don't just be a tourist with a camera. That means...being willing to get up early in order to catch a sunrise. Planning out the day so you're instead during the noon hours but outside during the golden hours. Thinking about particular shots you'd like to catch. Look for how you can use DoF or shadow and contrast to turn a "ho-hum, everyday normal" scene in to "wow--that's cool" piece of art. To put it another way, if all you take are snapshots, you'll have some nice momentos of the trip. But you have the opportunity to also create some art, the kind of stuff you'll hang on your walls for a couple of decades or family members will treasure as gifts. Don't pass up this opportunity.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back