Tree In Field After Sunset

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I spent too much time trying to capture the sun setting behind a barn. I didn't notice this lone tree until just after the sun set.

Exposure: Nikon D810, Tamron SP 15-30mm F2.8 at 30mm, f/11, 1/6s, ISO 64, mounted on a tripod.
thompson-valley-ranch1705-23sm.jpg

Almost exactly 1 year, 1¾ hours earlier (actually, about 3 weeks later into the month than the above photo) and before I had the ranch owner's permission to be on their property, I captured this scene from the road:

Exposure: Nikon D810, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 at 55mm, f/16, 1/160s, ISO 400, hand-held.
thompson-valley-ranch1605-14-1sm.jpg

Your C&C welcome.

The colour is a little too funky for me in the second, but I do like the first image and the colours.

Welcome back Jim; long time, no see! I agree with Tim; I really like both scenes, but the processing is just a little too.... intense for my tastes.

I can see why the tree in the first caught your eye, nice catch. In addition to the other comments, it seems like this would be better in landscape mode and crop some of the sky. It's pretty, but it doesn't add to the scene and distracts from that great tree. The second I could go either way. Yes it's a tad over processed, but not overly so if that's what you like. I do find the eye going from barn to back tree to tree on the right though.

#1 is fantastic! #2 looks more like a painting to me than a photograph. And when thought about as a painting I think it's quite fantastic, too!

I spent too much time trying to capture the sun setting behind a barn. I didn't notice this lone tree until just after the sun set.

Exposure: Nikon D810, Tamron SP 15-30mm F2.8 at 30mm, f/11, 1/6s, ISO 64, mounted on a tripod.
thompson-valley-ranch1705-23sm.jpg

Almost exactly 1 year, 1¾ hours earlier (actually, about 3 weeks later into the month than the above photo) and before I had the ranch owner's permission to be on their property, I captured this scene from the road:

Exposure: Nikon D810, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 at 55mm, f/16, 1/160s, ISO 400, hand-held.
thompson-valley-ranch1605-14-1sm.jpg

Your C&C welcome.
I like them both, but find the second image keeps drawing me back to it. There are so many ways to judge a photograph, only one being how realistically the original scene is reproduced. I'd call this is impressionist photography.

There are so many ways to judge a photograph, only one being how realistically the original scene is reproduced. I'd call this is impressionist photography.
I've never even tried to be a documentary photographer - documenting the scene as natural as possible. I've never referred to my craft as impressionist, but it's not inaccurate. I create photos that depict how I feel about a scene.

I appreciate all the comments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back