Trekking Thirumaleguppi & Hirumareguppi in torrential rain **pic & story heavy**

Raj_55555

Indian God of Photography
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rajarshiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After a failed plan to revisit Savandurga(I've posted pics earlier) last weekend due to people pulling out at the last moment, I decided to go on another one of my whimsical trips; looked up a random group on meetup and followed them for a two day trek to the Thirumaleguppi & the Hirumareguppi peaks. Admittedly, I didn't know much about the place or even which state it was in, but I had more fun on this trek than I've ever had, both because of the sense of solitude you get at the place and because of the super cool group I was with, dumb-charades were never this fun! Also this was the only trek where I had a lot of photographs of mine thanks to another fellow photo-trekker.

After an eight hours long bus ride and then another couple in a Jeep on muddy terrains, you reach this amazing place with lush green flora all around you. The trek route was very literally a slippery slope with all the mud, made even worse by the algae on the road, and the trees everywhere leaving us little room for a proper grip:

#1. Slippery slopes

19061749113_6b75dfeaee_z.jpg

#2. Tread lightly
19059455074_c0d1800e3b_z.jpg

Just about everyone, including me, had their share of falls and injuries, but it was all good as the leeches there were very welcoming, always reassuring us with their ever-close presence and periodically sucking a little blood out to help relieve any increase in Blood pressure!
Here's a fellow trekker shaking hands with Tom:

#3. Shaking hands with Tom

19467636079_b9f5d5d8d7_z.jpg

#4. Tom trying to trek along us!

19647137112_178172e437_z.jpg

#5. Tom, waving us goodbye.. :lol:

19033356873_11795f956f_z.jpg

The greatest part of the trek was the rain, coupled with the extreme wind it made our trek really difficult and extremely fun simultaneously! We trekked through the torrential rain that penetrated my heavy raincoat to dampen my camera gear, winds that made human pendulums out of us and shifting fogs all around us that made us lose sight of of our team all the time.

#5. In the wind & the rain

19495098738_f5a4c4635c_z.jpg

#6. In the wind & the rain (credits: Mani, my fellow photo-trekker)

DSC_0464_edit.jpg

It wasn't all fun though, I lost one of my lenses (The sigma 24-70 TPF edition, sorry :blueface:) and all my shots in one of the cards to the extreme weather while trying to take a long exposure of the waterfalls on Day 1. Surprisingly my trusty Point and shoot survived and was still going strong on day two. Oh, and somehow the waterfall pic that I was taking was written to the second card, I know I should have done better but it was very difficult to stand against the current and the rain didn't make it any easier, here it is:

#8. The waterfall

19675229612_2f215c0d60_z.jpg

#9. Downstreams with my P&S

19494953930_4587afa666_z.jpg

And the best was yet to come, once the rain died down the landscapes were almost from the set of the Jurassic world and I was starting to miss having my wide angle lens, but you have to use the tools that you have right:

#10. Welcome to Jurassic World:

19675179552_2098c2ba1f_h.jpg

#11. A panaroma of the magnificent beauty:

19686666111_499bf017f4_b.jpg

#12. Define Green!

19675120992_ce104f0365_c.jpg

#13. Paradise on Earth

19494367470_f67a9948fd_z.jpg

#14. View on top of the Thirrumaleguppi Peak

19033434883_7c74bf8691_z.jpg

I simply don't think that it's possible to have more fun than I had with this group:

#14. We shared experiences, age no bound:

DSC_0315_edit.jpg

stopped whenever we liked to look around and let the nature seep in, spotted a hive of mountain bees hanging from a cliff, heard the odd peacock singing from deep within the jungles, spotted a lot of unique birds and even photographed a few:

#15. Malabar Parakeet ( I was very lucky to have spotted him)

19687376591_cf29f85657_z.jpg

#16. Orange minivet

19494883818_f152be63ac_z.jpg

And thanks to my sneaky photo-trekker, had a few memorable photographs of mine as well:

#17. Among the elements

19656274796_4780539a37_z.jpg

The Tranquility all along the journey was simply ineffable!

DSC_0684_edit-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots and story Raj.

Great story and photos! Love these, Raj! :smile:

Love 11 and 13. what a great trip you had. great story, thanks for sharing Raj

Great shots and narrative. Thanks for sharing something many of us will never see or experience for ourselves.

These are absolutely fantastic Raj. Just gorgeous. Although, you could have made a warning about the leeches <shudder> . So nice to see pics of you too! So sorry to hear about the lens.

I'm extremely jealous of your adventures.

Those are some really wonderful photos! It really sounds like a great time. Sorry about the lens, how did you lose it? :)

Great images and story Raj - #s 10 & 11 are stellar!
Thanks John, those two are my personal favs too! :1247:
Great shots and story Raj.
Thanks goooner! :1247:
Great story and photos! Love these, Raj! :smile:
Thanks waday, much appreciated! :1247:
Love 11 and 13. what a great trip you had. great story, thanks for sharing Raj
Thanks Brian, and yes it was an amazing trip. Thanks for your support! :)
Great shots and narrative. Thanks for sharing something many of us will never see or experience for ourselves.
Thanks Brian, as I keep saying all you have to do is come here and I'll take care of your experiences! ;)
These are absolutely fantastic Raj. Just gorgeous. Although, you could have made a warning about the leeches <shudder> . So nice to see pics of you too! So sorry to hear about the lens.
I'm extremely jealous of your adventures.
Thanks Barb, but why the fear of leeches? Don't be a speciest, love all creatures equally! :345:
I've given the lens for repair, hopefully it'll be all right! :)
Those are some really wonderful photos! It really sounds like a great time. Sorry about the lens, how did you lose it? :)
Thanks buddy, it was pretty intense especially the trekking in the extreme weather. :)
I didn't physically lose the lens, it just stopped working due to the heavy rain! :blueface:
All I can say is wow!
Thanks scooter, much appreciated! :)

Thanks buddy, it was pretty intense especially the trekking in the extreme weather. :)
I didn't physically lose the lens, it just stopped working due to the heavy rain! :blueface:

I was seeing you doing a lens change and dropping it off a cliff! ;) Does that lens have auto focus, or is it manual?

I was seeing you doing a lens change and dropping it off a cliff! ;) Does that lens have auto focus, or is it manual?
Trust me, I'd jump off the cliff before letting a lens fall off! :lol:
Yeah, it has autofocus, but I was using manual as it was too dark for AF. In fact it's while taking the image #8 that it went off..

just stopped by to leave a :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back