Tri Pod

Rockford

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am 6'2 and having trouble finding a lightweight camera tripod, for my size.
Everyone I found thus far, I have to bend down to make work.

Perhaps some other tall folks had the same experience, and can point a noobi in the right direction. I would like to emphasize lighweight as wel.

Go on adorama or BH go to tripods and choose the height that you want it to be. Searching can be your best friend. ;)
TJ

Budget?

B&H sells 17 tripods (complete tripods - head+legs) with a maximum height of 70 inches or more. They range in price from $70 to $500 (there are a few more choices if you don't mind spending more than $500).

Here are those 17 tripods.

You can refine the search more by brand, or cost...

If you need help narrowing it down, just ask...

You haven't mentioned budget. I hope you understand that a tripod that tall is going to have a large footprint (with long legs)..... in order to remain stable & lightweight, you are talking about a few $$ for a good set of legs.

Budget?

B&H sells 17 tripods (complete tripods - head+legs) with a maximum height of 70 inches or more. They range in price from $70 to $500 (there are a few more choices if you don't mind spending more than $500).

Here are those 17 tripods.

You can refine the search more by brand, or cost...

If you need help narrowing it down, just ask...

Got me again.... I need to improve my typing speed.

You will also notice on those tripods that they can't support as much weight as the shorter ones... (Looks like about 8-12lbs...)

Might not be an issue, but if you plan on sticking something heavy on top of it you might just have to bend over. Or get a chair.

You will also notice on those tripods that they can't support as much weight as the shorter ones... (Looks like about 8-12lbs...)

Might not be an issue, but if you plan on sticking something heavy on top of it you might just have to bend over. Or get a chair.

??

Although I wouldn't put that much weight so high up in the air, this one extends to 72.5" & supports 44lbs.

472413 Induro AT413 Alloy 8M AT-Series 3-Section Tripod, Extends to 72.5", Supports 44 lbs.

??

Although I wouldn't put that much weight so high up in the air, this one extends to 72.5" & supports 44lbs.

472413 Induro AT413 Alloy 8M AT-Series 3-Section Tripod, Extends to 72.5", Supports 44 lbs.

:lol:

OK, yeah - I guess you're right. Just skimming through the B&H link I posted earlier, it just seemed like most of them were in the 8-12lb range.

(And it made sense to me too... Taller = skinnier legs = less weight capacity...)

Thanks all for the responces.

Do all tripods come with swivel pads to set the camera on, or do you have to buy them additionally, if so , what should I be looking for.

Do all tripods come with swivel pads to set the camera on, or do you have to buy them additionally, if so , what should I be looking for.

Do you mean the quick release plate?

Most of the better tripods are going to use some kind of quick release plate... This is something you'll have to get in addition to the tripod. Ideally, you'll want one for everything you plan on ever sticking on the tripod.

They're usually only $10-20...not a huge expense.

The exact type you'll need will vary, and you should find it listed in the specs.

If you mean the tripod head... No, you can buy the head & legs separately, but you will need both.

If you want to buy the head & legs separately, you'll have a lot more options, but the cost will generally be higher... You'll have exactly what you want though... ;)

Do you mean the quick release plate?

Most of the better tripods are going to use some kind of quick release plate... This is something you'll have to get in addition to the tripod. Ideally, you'll want one for everything you plan on ever sticking on the tripod.

They're usually only $10-20...not a huge expense.

The exact type you'll need will vary, and you should find it listed in the specs.

If you mean the tripod head... No, you can buy the head & legs separately, but you will need both.

If you want to buy the head & legs separately, you'll have a lot more options, but the cost will generally be higher... You'll have exactly what you want though... ;)

I have a canon xti rebel, plan to have it for some time, till I become more advanced, a year or so,so what would you recommend.

You can pick up a Sunpack 7200 that would be plenty heavy enough for your Rebel. They are pretty sturdy, go up to 72" and you can buy replacement parts if anything breaks.
Best Buy has them for around $75. Might check Adorama or B&H for prices.

You still haven't mentioned a budget...

There is a huge price range covered here... $70-500 just on he the ones I linked to. There were others that I excluded from the search that were up to $950.

(I just assumed that somebody willing to spend $1000 on a tripod wouldn't have to ask which one to get.)

O - Would like one that I can use in the future, if I decide to move up in camera performance, so your thoughts are welcome.

Really have no idea on price , bang for the buck, get the job done.

No need to purchase a second time, do it right the first time. you get the idea.

No need to purchase a second time, do it right the first time. you get the idea.

I know what you mean, and that's always a good plan.

Cry once. (Over the price - not over and over when you have to keep replacing gear that falls apart.)

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 055XPROB Pro | 055XPROB,808RC4
This one has a higher maximum height without extending the center column, and also has a slightly higher load capacity. It's a little heavier though (8lbs), which isn't necessarily bad - that weight can help stabilize it. And 8lbs still isn't very heavy...
$310

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 055WXNB Wilderness | 055XWNB804
This one has pretty much the same features, just a few inches shorter and a few pounds lighter. It has retractable spiked feet though. If you do a lot of shooting out side that is a nice feature to have.
$245

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 055XPROB 3-Secti | 055XPROB,322K
This one has the same legs as the first one, but a different head. This has the Grip Action Ball Head. A lot of people seems to really love that head...I personally like the pan/tilt kind. Ball head vs. pan/tilt is mostly going to be a personal preference thing. If you do a lot of landscapes, you may like a pan/tilt more though...
$375

They all come with one of the quick release plates they need, but if you're going to need more that one (multiple cameras, tripod collar for a long lens, etc) you'll have to get that extra. They're pretty cheap though.

One of those should serve you well... By the time you need something 'better' than that, you will know exactly what you need, and it will be quite a bit more expensive, lol.

You can't go wrong with Manfrotto.

All of these are relatively inexpensive when it comes to tripods, but they are good tripods that will last for a very long time.

If you ever need to replace it, it will be because you need some other, more specialized tripod. Not because it broke.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back