Tripod vs. Monopod

N

NedM

I shoot a lot of portraits and soon I'll be shooting my first wedding.

I deal with a lot of camera shake, I don't have the steadiest hands, and this usually results in loss of some really good photos.

Now, I do have a tripod but it's such a hassle setting up and moving from location to location.

I was wondering if I invested into a monopod, would I be able to reduce camera shake?
Would it be ideal for small events like weddings and such?

Or should I just invest in a heavy duty tripod and deal with the hassle?

why not get both?
monopods can be great when you need to move around getting shots in different angles.
tripod is great for the formals and other staged shots.
I use a manfrotto tripod and monopod, but the monopod also has a threaded cap on the bottom with three legs that pop out so it will free stand. when you dont want to use the legs, they fold back up in the monopod.
kinda the best of both. it will support a surprising amount of weight.

View attachment 63551View attachment 63552

I shoot weddings, I dont have the steadiest hand, I dont use monopod or tripod. It is a very fast paced gig. You really dont want to get slowed down with carrying a tripod. You have camera shake because your setting was wrong (need faster shutter). You can also brace your lens on something around like (wall, table, etc.)

why not get both?
monopods can be great when you need to move around getting shots in different angles.
I use a manfrotto tripod and monopod, but the monopod also has a threaded cap on the bottom with three legs that pop out so it will free stand. when you dont want to use the legs, they fold back up in the monopod.

That looks like the slightest grease would knock the thing over.

I shoot a lot of portraits and soon I'll be shooting my first wedding.

I deal with a lot of camera shake, I don't have the steadiest hands, and this usually results in loss of some really good photos.

Now, I do have a tripod but it's such a hassle setting up and moving from location to location.

I was wondering if I invested into a monopod, would I be able to reduce camera shake?
Would it be ideal for small events like weddings and such?

Or should I just invest in a heavy duty tripod and deal with the hassle?

For the shooting situations you describe I would not want to use a tripod or a monopod. If you are experiences camera shake why not up your shutter speed.

why not get both?

That looks like the slightest grease would knock the thing over.

you would think...but nope. it is surprisingly steady. and sturdy. im not saying i would leave it there for long periods of time, but long enough to get something out of the camera bag? no problem.

The only time I use a tripod at a wedding is when I do a specialized shot (long shutter finger painting). Other than that, I can't think of why you need one at a wedding. If you use survey 10 wedding photographers, I am willing to bet 9 of 10 do not use a tripod or monopod at a wedding.

A monopod can give you two or three or maybe four stops' worth of added camera stability, depending on how shaky you are to begin with. There are different types of monopods: I use mine ONLY with big, heavy telephotos that weight 7 pounds or more, plus an almost 4-lb camera, so I prefer a solid, aluminum two-section Bogen that's like 25 years old. For me, it's a great monopod, but I use it mostly standing upright, and occasionally, seated. So, I do not mind the two sections. But some people like the three- or four-section models which compact to a much higher degree, so they can be carried inside of a bag or backpack or whatnot.

But if you are shaky, I would say, yes, look into a monopod. I think it CAN help slow a fellow down, and it also helps "locate" the camera at a precise height, which can help, especially when shooting full-length, standing portraits, where you WANT TO LOWER THE CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!!! For the best "talls" on standing people, you must get the camera DOWN, well below chest height, and keep the back of the camera parallel with the standing people, and the monopod can really help with that, especially when using an eye-level camera.

Tall, full-length formal portraits are actually easier to shoot on a waist-level type camera, just for this reason.

Tripod-mounting is the way to do the formals, I think. It keeps the camera set up, and then you can pose people, and not need to constantly re-set the camera. It depends on how you've learned to shoot, but the majority of people who shoot wedding formal shots with the camera at eye-level turn in dumpy, stumpy looking brides and grooms. When you have a BIG group and the camera is on a tripod, you can look at the PEOPLE, and not need to squint through a finder, and you can see blinks and sideways glances much better that way.

I have to say however, there is ONE tripod model, just one, that makes using it a pleasure, and not a bunch of work, and I have owned one for close to two decades now: http://www.google.com/search?q=Manf...oFpXmoASJuoDYDw&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1657&bih=986

This is an "automatic" tripod, which can be raised, or lowered, and LOCKED with ONE FINGER squeeze of a trigger, and put into the EXACT, right height, in less than 2 seconds. The tripod is not just to steady the camera...it's more about respect, seriousness, keeping the "camera eye" still, and allowing you to be "a photographer" (free to move, cajole,tease,joke,laugh, clown around, whatever is needed) , and other stuff too.

THe above is THE tripod for professional people photographers. and it works unlike a slow, piece of crap, 4-section, 12-leg-lock carbon fiber or aluminum monstrosity. Those are BACKPACKING tripods...this is a professional-grtade tool, designed for FAST adjustment, up, down, and un-level ground, hillsides, kid-low, teenager middle, basketball player tall...this specific tripod is UN-equalled in terms of what is needed for people work. it is **NOT** like **ANY** other model ever made. There is ***NO*** comparing what this piece of equipment can do with the functioning of any other type of tripod. With 3- or 4-section legs and 9 or 12 or even six leg-locks to f*** around with for ever, single change of camera height, I would agree that a tripod is a pain in the butt. But this specific tripod is designed for professional portrait,event, and glamour work. It's heavy. But its sturdy and more-importantly, it's FAST to adjust.

Last edited:
The only time I use a tripod at a wedding is when I do a specialized shot (long shutter finger painting). Other than that, I can't think of why you need one at a wedding. If you use survey 10 wedding photographers, I am willing to bet 9 of 10 do not use a tripod or monopod at a wedding.

I think you would be surprised.
i would also be willing to bet that 9 out of 10 wedding photographers still OWN a tripod and monopod, since they MIGHT shoot things other than weddings.

I never use a monopod for photography because I feel like what they offer in return is not worth the trouble of carrying one around.

That being said I do use a monopod for video. I stick a gopro on the end of it and use it to reach into tight spaces.

I never use a monopod for photography because I feel like what they offer in return is not worth the trouble of carrying one around.

That being said I do use a monopod for video. I stick a gopro on the end of it and use it to reach into tight spaces.

so your the one making those videos for Sex Ed....
I always wondered about that...

so your the one making those videos for Sex Ed....
I always wondered about that...

I am just disappointed they won't use my footage in the gopro commercials.

Buy one of each.

Learn and understand the differences.

Use both to their respective advantages.

I've got a monopod but I only use it when I'm walking around downtown at night. This way I can quickly take a shot and move on without drawing a lot of attention that I would by setting up a tripod.

There are some places that will not allow a tripod, but have no problems with monopods.

Most reactions

Back