What's new

Tripod's are Evil

dustin0479

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 10, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
9
Location
Delaware
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I cannot seem to nail down a final selection on a tripod. This is killing me that I cannot get this decided and move on. Unfortunately there are no good stores in the are to physically look at them.

Here is what I need.
1. Hold D300 w/ 200mm (and stable)
2. Relatively tall
3. Light/Medium Weight (under 8lb)
4. $150 and under

I was looking at the Slik 700DX but it appears to have a HUGE stance. While I do want something stable I also dont want to need a 6' floorspace just for the legs.

Please help with suggestions.
 
Man... I think you have to increase your budget for this. Pretty much double it.

Sorry.

-Pete
 
You want a stable, tall, lightweight, and affordable tripod. Four major criteria. Dude, you're violating the old "pick any three criteria" rule of tripods, by adding a fourth criteria. You can under the old rule, pick any TWO...but not all three....

I think christiephoto has it right...the budget here of $150 is going to kill this process...
 
I just put in an order for SLIK PRO 700DX Professional Tripod with Panhead (615-315). $140 @ Amazom. I think someone here suggested it, plus I have other Slik products that have worked well for me.
 
I have not heard anything about Giotto's. Any good? Slik seems to be a reliable brand.
 
I've been researching tripods and support systems for the last few months. To reiterate what's already been said - I don't think you will get a quality, stable system for the gear you've listed for $150. I would say minimum you should be looking in the $300 to $400 range.

You can get tripods for $150, but they probably won't be good quality, stable and light. Again, to repeat what Derrell said, pick two criteria and the third will be decided for you.
 
I've been researching tripods and support systems for the last few months. To reiterate what's already been said - I don't think you will get a quality, stable system for the gear you've listed for $150. I would say minimum you should be looking in the $300 to $400 range.

You can get tripods for $150, but they probably won't be good quality, stable and light. Again, to repeat what Derrell said, pick two criteria and the third will be decided for you.

The legs I listed are $112. They're good quality, stable, and not heavy.

I have a more expensive giotto leg set and head for the video rig I was using. You definitely don't have to spend $300-$400 for a good tripod.
 
I have not heard anything about Giotto's. Any good? Slik seems to be a reliable brand.

I believe Giotto is another brand manufactured by the same company that does Manfrotto.

I think you are mistaking Giotto for Gitzo, which is owned The Vitec Group. The Vitec Group also owns Manfrotto and Bogen.
 
$69 to $150 tripod legs are not what I would call "stable". Lightweight, 4-section leg sets made by off-brands are not what I think of as "stable".
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom