What's new

Tripod's are Evil

Ok, so I purchased a set of 3021's.

Now to pick an affordable head +/- $80.00

I am having a hard time deciding between 3-way Panhead and a Ball Head. I was looking at the 804Rc2 for the panhead but do not have any suggestions for a ballhead yet.
 
Some of you guys are just dead set on spending money.

Did anybody bother to ask what the OP wanted to use the tripod for?

If he wanted to shoot star trails next to a freeway or on a mountain side in high winds then spend away.

Anything normal, a decent set of legs will do; if you remember to not extend the legs all the way.

Honestly, if you're going to take the time (granted, only in Most applications) to use a tripod a heavy duty pan-head will do fine as long as you get a level to go with it.

But then if you're going to use a tripod, you need to use a level anyway.

$0.02


BTW, I've got 4 or 5 (they're also good for leaning reflectors against) from a $30 wal-mart special to a Kodak Commercial that extends to over 8 feet and is rock steady with a 4x5 monorail on it.

I tend to use the cheapest one most because I keep forgetting to take it out of the trunk of my car. ;)
 
Last edited:
The thing is that sometimes you really do have to spend the money. I've got a set of Manfrotto 3021 legs and a 488RC4 head. It's great when i'm using the wide, usually fine when using the 50, but i can't use my 80-200 on it. With the 80-200, and with shutter speeds between 1/60th and 2 seconds, the mirror slap on my camera creates enough vibration to translate to the head and give me shaky pictures (especially at 200mm). I HAVE to use mirror lock up and a cable release, and often times the movement of the cable from the remote gives me shake. Other than that, it's great. I'm going to be saving up and getting myself a ReallyRightStuff head, maybe the BH-55, since everyone i've asked says it's pretty much the best ballhead money can buy, and i can justify spending $500 on a ballhead if it means shake free pictures (the whole reason for getting a tripod to begin with)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom