What's new

Tripod's are Evil

So you consider Slik an off brand?
 
I cannot seem to nail down a final selection on a tripod. This is killing me that I cannot get this decided and move on. Unfortunately there are no good stores in the are to physically look at them.

Here is what I need.
1. Hold D300 w/ 200mm (and stable)
2. Relatively tall
3. Light/Medium Weight (under 8lb)
4. $150 and under

I was looking at the Slik 700DX but it appears to have a HUGE stance. While I do want something stable I also dont want to need a 6' floorspace just for the legs.

Please help with suggestions.

Here is what I need.
1. 5D and D3 in one camera!
2. Relatively small. (Those darn FF's are too big!)
3. Light (under 1lb; Those darn FF's are too heavy!)
4. $1,000 and under

PS: Must mount both canon and nikon lenses!
 
I just ordered the Slik 580DX today from B&H. I chose this one over the popular 700DX and 780DX because it is 1.5lbs lighter and has a 13" minimum height which I wanted for doing macro's. Yet it is still extends plenty tall for not having to bend over when the camera is mounted.
 
Ok, to re-word the question.

If you had $150.00 +/- to spend on a tripod, which one would you purchase?
 
Last edited:
Remember that tripods have neither fragile glass nor precision electronics. Even if you are reluctant to buy used cameras or glass, you can do very well buying a used pod and head and can often get them for a fraction of a price of new. I got a set of Bogen 3021 legs and a Gitzo 1377M ballhead on e-bay for about $175 (the head alone went for almost $300 new, I believe). The legs were a bit beat-up looking, but work fine and the head was in mint condition.
 
What I want to know is, why the $150 budget? You shelled out the coin for a D300 and 200mm glass. Why would you cheap out on support? A good ball head and set of CF legs are some of the best money you will ever spend on photography equipment.

I remember reading this bythom article a while ago and I was like "damn thats me almost to the letter..."

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
 
Lightweight, 4-section leg sets made by off-brands are not what I think of as "stable".

Agreed.

Incidentally, I've always used a 3-way head and can't imagine working with anything else. Maybe it's been too long since I tried working with a ball head.

-Pete
 
190XDB Manfrotto 190XDB 3 Section Black Aluminum Tripod Legs (Height 3.15" - 57", Maximum Load 11 lbs)

496RC2 Manfrotto Compact Ball Head 496 with RC2 Rapid Connect Plate, Maximum Load: 13.2 lbs/ 6 kg

there is a rebate available if u buy the head and legs

i have slightly better legs and the same head, good combo slightly over budget and a bit heavy but its pretty sturdy for me and works extremely well in most situations.

just read that u already got a tripod. but just a heads up, i think you should spend as much $$$ on the tripod as u possibly can because this is one piece of equipment that u will NEVER need to upgrade if u get the best one for ur needs. A tripod that u used 20 yrs ago will be just as good today, and i would rather have spent the money once than continously upgrading.
 
$69 to $150 tripod legs are not what I would call "stable". Lightweight, 4-section leg sets made by off-brands are not what I think of as "stable".

GIOTTO'S-Professional Photographic Equipment

Have you ever used their stuff? If not, you have no room to talk.

Sorry newbie, but you're the one who has absolutely no "room to talk".

This is one of my tripods, which has a two-section design, with steel lower legs and aluminum upper legs, so that the most weight is at the BOTTOM of the tripod. The set you're pushing has skinny, 4-section, telescoping legs that are skinniest at the bottom, and get fatter and heavier at the top of the tripod, creating an UN-stable tripod, as well as making it necessary to unlock, and lock 12 locks to get the tripod to full height.

058B Manfrotto 058B Black Tripod Legs (Height 17.4 - 85.5", Maximum Load 26.50 lbs) (#058B)

This tripod can go as low at 17 inches above the ground, and as high as over 7 feet. THIS is what "I call" a stable tripod. What you call a stable tripod is, in my book, a cheap toy-like design, designed for portability, not stability. Once again, your smart-alecky newbishness is showing...
 
I think I have decided to go with the Slik 500DX kit and plan on getting a better head for it some time in the near future. From everything I have read about the legs they seem to be great but their heads not so much. I probably read 200 reviews on them sorting by the worst reviews first and not a single bad review about the legs.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom