Tripods/Monopods

1) Culmann Magic 2 for lightweight (folds flat anto my bag). Bogen Manfrotto 3021S ($75) for heavier more stable support. For full height I purchased a 3001 bogen for $35 at a camera swap.

Note: I wouldn't recommend the magic 2 for anything but a light camera

2) Monopod is also the center column (3259) that fits either the 3001 or 3021. Sadely, they don't make the center column/Monopod unit that fits the new models. This is the reason why I specifically went out of my way to purchase the older Bogen models.

3) Depending on what you shoot... most likely yes.. it is worth it. Almost everyone here will agree that Bogen/Manfrotto is a great way to go. IMO, don't be afraid to purchase used as there's not much to a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod to break.

For cheaper options (more compact too), I liked velbon's offerings.

Search.. there's more info in past posts.

usayit said:
1) Culmann Magic 2 for lightweight (folds flat anto my bag). Bogen Manfrotto 3021S ($75) for heavier more stable support. For full height I purchased a 3001 bogen for $35 at a camera swap.

Note: I wouldn't recommend the magic 2 for anything but a light camera

2) Monopod is also the center column (3259) that fits either the 3001 or 3021. Sadely, they don't make the center column/Monopod unit that fits the new models. This is the reason why I specifically went out of my way to purchase the older Bogen models.

3) Depending on what you shoot... most likely yes.. it is worth it. Almost everyone here will agree that Bogen/Manfrotto is a great way to go. IMO, don't be afraid to purchase used as there's not much to a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod to break.

For cheaper options (more compact too), I liked velbon's offerings.

Search.. there's more info in past posts.

Thanks a lot. Everything you said was helpful.

I've got a cheap (but not too cheap) Velbon for travel. It's light and folds fairly small. It is a little flimsy, which isn't usually a problem...but I don't like how the legs are attached to each other in the middle because it limits how low it can go. Also, the built-in plastic head is adequate but not great.

I have Manfrotto Professional 190 legs...they are heavy but solid as a rock. The legs can be adjusted independently, which is great. For the head I bought a Cameron ball head. It does it's job well. I like this set up best and would use it all the time if it were not too heavy. Actually, I do use it most of the time anyway...and grumble about how heavy it is.

I also carry a very small 'table top' tripod in my bag...comes is very handy. I keep meaning to get a bean bag to carry around as well.

Thanks Mike and Kevin.

I had a Quantaray QT-100 and one of the legs broke within a month. I've been trying to milk the last few uses of life out of it for a few months now.

Today I bought the Sunpak VersiPod 2. It's a monopod and a tripod. It was $69.99 and I hope it will do better than the last one I got.

If this one doesn't hold up. I know I'm going for Bogen next! Hopefully I won't have to though. I don't have a money tree in my yard!

Tripod Legs: Bogen / Manfrotto 3001BPRO - I upgraded to these from some cheapo tripod. Best 130 dollars I ever spent

Tripod Head:Bogen / Manfrotto 486RC2 Compact Ball Head with Rapid Connect System 2 - WAY WAY better then the pan and tilt I was using before.

TheFinisher3 said:
Today I bought the Sunpak VersiPod 2. It's a monopod and a tripod. It was $69.99 and I hope it will do better than the last one I got.
I hope the real thing is a loooot sturdier than the one I see in the video demo's. Can those thin, thin legs really support a dSLR with a 50-300 lens? And if it can, how long before the swaying stops?

Note that the demo guy mounts what looks like an Olympus C-4040Z* on that tripod/monopod. NOT a dSLR! That's not for nothing!

(the C-4040Z was my very first digicam. It is very compact and light!)

To be more specific I have a Bogen 3221. I admit it is overkill for most people, but I picked it up cheap used.

LWW

I'm not sure if the legs can really support that. Right now, I only have a 28-90 lens. I guess I'll find out when I buy a telephoto lens (soon)!

Most reactions

Back