Tripods???

I simply don't think that they are THAT crucial to your photography.
Although you corrected yourself in the following sentence as a personal opinion, the bell has been rung.

MY opinion is that a tripod is a most useful tool for photography. It will not be used on every outing, but it can enable someone get a shot that is otherwise unattainable.

I've got a decent Manfrotto tripod and monopod. I use both as needed. I also hand hold, in case anyone is interested. But the advantage of a pod cannot be discounted. The simple fact that I have $$$$K invested in lenses and bodies is enough of a reason to make sure they are properly supported. It's an economic decision I've made. Each to their own.

But... that's just my 2¢.

Although you corrected yourself in the following sentence as a personal opinion, the bell has been rung.

Let's clarify here, OK? I did not CORRECT myself, I qualified my comment. There is a big, big difference.

Frankly, I fell for the "The tripod is crucial" routine years ago. From my experience, and I do have some nice work to show for it, such is not the case, at least in my opinion. Faster shutter speeds, faster ISOs in dSLRs, and anti-vibration lenses all make for some great photography without a tripod. And let's not forget that the tripod pretty much eliminates any chance of the wonderul grab shot.

Let's go back to my experience with pro photogs; I don't know a one who is totally committed to an ever-present tripod.

If you're in love with tripods, terrific. If you're not, likewise terrific.

No need to be on the defensive.......... ummm sween. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Let's clarify here, OK? I did not CORRECT myself, I qualified my comment. There is a big, big difference.
It's a matter of semantics. One interprets anothers' words as they see fit, I suppose. The useage of "your" rather than "my" is indicative of a lean towards one side of a debate.

Had you read and more importantly comprehended my comments....
MY opinion is that a tripod is a most useful tool for photography. It will not be used on every outing, but it can enable someone get a shot that is otherwise unattainable.
then you may not have reacted in such a knee-jerk reaction. It was a subjective notion of mine, not a cut and dry solution.

Let's go back to my experience with pro photogs; I don't know a one who is totally committed to an ever-present tripod.

If you're in love with tripods, terrific. If you're not, likewise terrific.
Geesh... look at that. We seem to have a similar conclusion. The only difference is that we use different words.

And the agressive tone of you response was for......................... hmmm, I forget at the moment...... Oh, look.... bright lights..... Uoooo, Ahhhhh

As Mike pointed out a well known fact... light weight, low price, stability .. you have to pick two of the three first to help you decide your priorities.

I say buy a used manfrotto/bogen or gitzo within your budget and specifications. There is very little to break on a tripod and thus no reason to look for an old, used one...

One of mine is a bogen 3001 with a 3 way pan... just like Mike's find, I found mine at a camera swap meet for $35.

Another feature to consider is the height.

Also, not all inexpensive tripods are crap.. don't let someone tell you that you have to spend a lot of money. The bogen digi tripod is at around $100.

USAYIT... since you're on, got a question for you. (Don't mean to highjack, but it' on a similar thought.)

Some time ago you were on about a Gitzo (I think) travel tripod. I've lost the link, but it would comfortably fit on/in a backpack, was semi short, handled a decent amount of weight and was lightweight. Can you help a brother out?

Sure..

It is the Gitzo Traveler Series. There are several depending on the max height and weight ratings required. They are by far one of the lightest and best designed tripods I have ever had the pleasure of borrowing. Unfortunately, they are also pricey. Because of the weight and the size (1550T), they are very popular among the rangefinder crowd. The 1550T weighs only 2.2lbs WITH HEAD.

I keep saving and saving but end up needing the cash for something else. I did end up getting the traveler monopod instead for a recent trip. OMG, weighs practically nothing and was able to support my 1d MII with 100-400L. Totally comfortable hanging off my belt... can't even tell I am carrying it.

Gitzo SA | le choix des professionels

^^ Cheers.

My wish list is ever expanding..... :biggrin:

BTW, just ordered a 20mm f/2.8 yesterday, bwuhahahahahaha

No need to be on the defensive.......... ummm sween. Everyone is entitled to an opinion...And the agressive tone of you response was for......................... hmmm, I forget at the moment...... Oh, look.... bright lights..... Uoooo, Ahhhhh

Every board, forum, blog, newsgroup, I have visited in the last 12-15 years has one. Apparently you are the resident "one" here.

Every board, forum, blog, newsgroup, I have visited in the last 12-15 years has one. Apparently you are the resident "one" here.

Cutey pie?

The 190/RC2 tripod/ballhead combo is pretty damn affordable if you ask me. I mean if you just need a GENERAL tripod, to do basic pan shots, or set something up for simple landscapped HDR photographs - any 30 bucks tripod will do.

The reason we may see 150/170 bucks for such a combo as "excessive" is because of the low-cost tripods out there; however, one wouldn't balk at buying a 300 dollar wide-angle lens when there are 50 dollar converters. . .or I hope you wouldn't.

Cutey pie?

The 190/RC2 tripod/ballhead combo is pretty damn affordable if you ask me. I mean if you just need a GENERAL tripod, to do basic pan shots, or set something up for simple landscapped HDR photographs - any 30 bucks tripod will do.

The reason we may see 150/170 bucks for such a combo as "excessive" is because of the low-cost tripods out there; however, one wouldn't balk at buying a 300 dollar wide-angle lens when there are 50 dollar converters. . .or I hope you wouldn't.

Sorry, if you responded to my response, you have completely lost me.

Carry on sween. Fry your chicken in any manner you like and use me as the hot oil.

If you get your nose out of joint because I happen to use a different approach to reach the same conclusion, then I suppose that is your own take of the dialogue. Perhaps it's the case where I happen to be "the one" tonight. There are many here that can smell bull$hit+. I just happened to catch the whiff tonight.

No blood, no foul. Peace.

one wouldn't balk at buying a 300 dollar wide-angle lens when there are 50 dollar converters. . ..
:biglaugh:

Last night I was gonna spend $50 bucks for a battery charger........... I wound up with a Nikkor 20mm f/2.8, CPL, blah, blah. $50 turned into over $800 real quick. :lol::lol::lol:

Carry on sween. Fry your chicken in any manner you like and use me as the hot oil.

If you get your nose out of joint because I happen to use a different approach to reach the same conclusion, then I suppose that is your own take of the dialogue. Perhaps it's the case where I happen to be "the one" tonight. There are many here that can smell bull$hit+. I just happened to catch the whiff tonight.

No blood, no foul. Peace.

Troll away. I'm out of this one. One parting thought; try adjusting the dosage. It's easy to catch a whiff when you're completely full of it yourself. Life? You could use one.

The dosage is always FULL ON for me. I have a button that gives me a dose on demand......OHHhh Babbbbyyyyy, YEAH!!!!

Such a shame you couldn't see the similarities. I suppose ego has an ill effect. I was about to say having the last word was an inclination of personality, but yet since sween is out, I suppose I have the inclination of personality disorder by having the last word in this non-sensicle repertoire is all bull$hI+ anyway.
. WHAHHHHHHHHH.

Chill out sween, I could give a $hI+ of the attitude. Chances are that I'm not alone, just a guess.....

In before lock...

As you can see in my sig, I bought into the $300 tripod train. It's definitely worth it at times to have a stable tripod like that is all I can say, and I don't see the money having been spent in vain.

Most reactions

Back