Trouble with Printing Cropped 4x6 images - help!

shrutebucks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble printing an image as a 4x6, and was wondering if someone could offer advice. I took a set of 55 photos taken at my friend's bridal shower to print as 4x6, most of them turned out well but some didn't - arms, legs and heads cut off everywhere. The aspect ratio is set correctly, for a width of 4 inches and height of 6 inches. This sets the crop area, but now shows exactly which parts of the image will print - resulting in about half an inch all around not being in the print area.

how do i fix this, so that i can get the entire image within the print area? any suggestions are welcome. thank you!!

Then it sounds like you need to set the crop width and height to match the origianal photo so there is no longer a 1/2" of the image outside the crop.

What image editing application are you using to crop?

I am assuming the original photos have a native aspect ratio of 3:2 also.

P&S are usually 4:3, as are some brands of dSLR.

hey, thanks for the reply. i am using cs4 to edit/crop, and the pictures were shot with a nikon d80, so the standard aspect ratio of 3:2 should apply, no?

hey, thanks for the reply. i am using cs4 to edit/crop, and the pictures were shot with a nikon d80, so the standard aspect ratio of 3:2 should apply, no?
Once you have the 4x6 crop box, grab a corner and expand the box. It will retain the 3:2 aspect ratio as the dimensions get a little beyond 4x6.

Do Not put a resolution value in the box on the tool options bar.

Hey...

ok so the reason that i originally cropped the raw images in the raw plug in was to tighten them up a bit and get rid of unwanted parts of the background. so then i ended up with this image. and i sent it off for printing to the store and well half or 1/3 or whatever of some of the pictures are cut off. That must be because when i freely cropped in the raw plug in, there was no 3:2 ratio. I was not watching for it, because it was my first time cropping in photoshop and i didnt know what would happen. Anyways, When i saw that the pics were cut off, i came back and set my crop width and height to 4 in and 6 in. So the crop square can be moved around on the image, but only in that ratio. So i end up losing the bottom part of it, or compromising an arm, etc.

So i just want to know if there is a way to have the image fit in my 3:2 ratio now? Or do i need to go back to my camera and get the original image and just forget about cropping it??

Im printing at a store. Im not using my own printer.

Thanks

Yeah like it crop selector can be resized, but only to th 3:2 dimensions. so if there are 3 people in the picture for example, and i want all of them in, but i also want some of the background flowers on either side, i have to compromise the flowers on one side, or end up losing someone's face on the other side. Or for example i had one picture with 6 friends, head to toe. but to crop with a 3:2 ratio, i lose everything past their shins. If i i try to resize the crop selector to make it bigger, then one part of the canvas has a grey area because that part of the image does not extend there since the crop selector area is larger than the image on that particular side.... so when i print, there would potentially be a blank area on one side where the image doesnt extend to..... Get what i mean?

hey, tried that...and now the width of the picture works, but the bottom half is inaccessible. this is insane!

thanks so much for your input btw, i really appreciate it :)

Most reactions

Back