Trying out my flash, VW GTI content

Dark Anghell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_2561.jpg

Please be as brutal as you need to be...I want to hear your opinions.

The flash was mounted on the camera and bounced off the ceiling.
Ahhh...that explains the nice soft light and soft shadows.

It's a nice shot...wish I could see more of the engine or have the hood closed.

Ahhh...that explains the nice soft light and soft shadows.

It's a nice shot...wish I could see more of the engine or have the hood closed.

For some reason when I tried to shoot from higher position, the details under the hood got washed out by the flash and you couldn't make out what was under there.
Also this gives a little glimpse of the intercooler shining through the lower grille.

For some reason when I tried to shoot from higher position, the details under the hood got washed out by the flash and you couldn't make out what was under there.
Was the flash set to E-TTL or Manual? What about the camera settings? Which camera are you shooting with.

It's a good idea to include the exif data with your picture when asking for C&C.

great shot, you could maybe try moving a little more back to get the whole hood. and Samanax the EXIF is there you just have to know where to look for it ;D. The camera is Canon rebel XT, flash was on manual, focal length 18mm, exposure 1/125th, aperture f/3.5, and ISO 200

great shot, you could maybe try moving a little more back to get the whole hood. and Samanax the EXIF is there you just have to know where to look for it ;D.
I know where to look for it, but if it's already in the post next to the picture it just makes things a little easier. And many new shooters don't know how to check for exif and it would be for their benefit to see the shot data when viewing pictures posted for C&C.

On some other photo forums you must include the exif data with the photo you're asking C&C for.
The camera is Canon rebel XT, flash was on manual, focal length 18mm, exposure 1/125th, aperture f/3.5, and ISO 200
Thank you.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, next time I will be sure to include all the info. I know I can check all the settings on my camera, but how can I do it from my computer?

I will try to take this picture again, but higher up and further away to get the whole hood.

Sorry guys, next time I will be sure to include all the info. I know I can check all the settings on my camera, but how can I do it from my computer?
The exif data is imbedded in the photo and there are several methods you can use to read it.

One way is use a exif reader utility like Opanda IExif. If the image is saved to your computer, just open IExif and then open the photo in it. If the image is on the web and you're looking at it in a browser, right click on the photo and click on "Image Properties" and the exif data will open in a window.

If you don't have a exif utility you can still view the exif data with an photo editing program...most can show you the shot information you just have to find where in the program that function is hidden.

Or you can just use Windows (if you are using Windows...I don't know about the Apple/Mac side of things). While the photo is on your computer, right click on it and then click "Properties". Click on the "Summary" tab and then click on the "Advanced" button. If the image is in a browser you can save the image to your computer and then view the exif data using the above procedure.

But not all photos will have the exif image intact. Some will have the exif data stripped out of it to reduce the size of the image to make it easier to upload and such. In most photo editing programs this is the "Save For Web" save option.
I will try to take this picture again, but higher up and further away to get the whole hood.
Cool. Post the new image when you're done.

Nice shot. What flash is it?

Samanax, thank you so much!

AlexColeman, I am using Canon Speedlite 430EZ.

I used photoshop to black out the sides of the car, adjusted levels a little bit, used dodge tool on the hood to reduce the glare from the flash and got rid of the flash reflection on the black shield below VW emblem.

Not a bad shot but the fact you have had to do so much post processoing shows you need to work on it.

First I wouldn't envisage this kind of shoot with an on camera flash. Get it off the camera on a stand.
Second you have found out that an uncovered flash + shiny car = trouble. You need to soften the hell out of the flash.
Third if you'd closed the aperture/shutter down to reduce the light coming in and upped the output of the flash (not bouncing it has this effect as you'll lose a fair amount of power off the ceiling) then you can control what's lit. This means the background would be dark without having to PS it.

I do have a bouncer for the light that should diffuse it a fair amount. Unfortunately I am on the budged and don't have any way to move the flash off camera. I will try taking it again the same way as before, but higher up and diffuse the light a little bit. Then I will do another series with the bouncer mounted and shutter speed turned up. I may also try using circular polarizer to get rid of some of the glare coming from the flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back