Trying out my flash, VW GTI content

Moving the flash off camera is very cheap to do. PC leads are only about £5-10, light stands I bought two for about £20, umbrella £5, mount for umbrella £5.

Ahhh...that explains the nice soft light and soft shadows.

It's a nice shot...wish I could see more of the engine or have the hood closed.

That's all I was going to say.... Why have the hood open if the only detail you can see is the intake plenum and the K&N filter? Just close it, and I'm sure it would look even better! That is one sweet ride!!

I have an off-camera flash that is very powerful that I bought, complete with stand for under $50.. It's in optical slave, but it's flawless in its operation..

Do you have a site I can check out for these setups? I was looking at PocketWizard, but it would set me back about $300 with the stand.
I took this picture for a VW GTI site, where the thread was asking for an open hood and things under it. There were 2 pictures to this, but first is not very interesting...it's just a shot of the engine.
I do agree that it looks a bit odd with the hood cut off and very little engine bay showing.

Thank you guys for the links! As soon as I have money to spend on lighting (just bought a new lens), I will be purchasing one of those kits!

As promised I tried taking few pictures that captured the entire hood, hood closed and later that night I happened to have my camera and it was extremely foggy. I could barely see in front of the car, so I took few pics while driving home.
IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

I tried to do few pictures with the flash pointing straight at the engine bay to light it up, but all came out bad. Definitely using off camera strobes/lights is the best way to go.

Man this car looks mean lol. Nice photos! Where were the indoor ones shot at ?

Simple but effective, love it.

Bringing this topic back to life...
I need your opinions on the best way to move my flash off camera.
Option 1 is a complete kit: Strobist Starving Student SN2 lighting kit (no flash)
Option 2 is also a complete kit similar to one above, but it uses Cactus wireless triggers...almost same price.

Or I can piece everything together using Wein's following products:
http://www.omegasatter.com/Product_Info … amp;cid=49
and
http://www.omegasatter.com/Product_Info … amp;cid=49
unless you suggest using this: http://www.omegasatter.com/Product_Info … amp;cid=49

From what I hear, using Wein's products is a better way to go, especially if I ever end up renting a studio and using their lights. Primarily this setup will be used for fashion photography.

It looks pretty nice, I like the way the sides of the photo are borderline black, it makes it look like the photo was taken in a lonely warehouse with a single light. Although I would agree with the majority here' although it's a fantastic engine, pretty much the only thing I can see is an ugly grey pipe and the brake fluid top-up cap :). Either go a little higher or close the bonnet. Also, for diffusing the light, if you can't afford (or can't be bothered to buy ;)) a cheap slot-on diffuser, I'd recommend a piece of tissue paper. You can control the diffusion effect by folding it in half, quarters, eighths, etc.

The links are all broken.

My appologies. The links were for Wein Safe Slave and Wein Safe Sync. But there's also Wein HSH - Hot Shoe to Female HH adapter that attaches to the flash and is $20 less than Safe Slave unit. Not sure if one is better or worse.

I think I also figured out what to do about the engine bay...I should place glow sticks into the engine bay...maybe in red color to compliment the red stripe. That will light up the components and still expose the front end with the same effect.

do you have any daytime shots?

mk4>mk5 ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back