trying out some new + unique editing styles

lisa_13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
here's one from an old shoot. trying out some creative edits. what do you think?

4683914895_54460d5480.jpg

The rule for using an editing style or effect is that from a compositional point of view, it MUST contribute to the overall visual effectiveness of the image.

Put another way, if the viewer sees no visual reason for the use of an effect or editing style, then its use is a weakness and a flaw.

skieur

The rule for using an editing style or effect is that from a compositional point of view, it MUST contribute to the overall visual effectiveness of the image.

Put another way, if the viewer sees no visual reason for the use of an effect or editing style, then its use is a weakness and a flaw.

skieur

Well put... The edit is distracting and rather annoying.

I've gotta agree with the above posters ^

It's just distracting and I feel like the image would be much better without it.

This is my experience so do not take it offensively.

A rainbow gradient overlay is neither unique nor creative when just thrown on top. In this case it feels you are using it to take away from the expression of your subject, which tells me you are not that happy with a somewhat "drab" or unwanted photo.

I think if you were to plan ahead and say "I want to take the viewer through this majestic and improbable scene where the colors are just exploding!" At which point you would be shooting a photo with the specific purpose of eventually adding some form of rainbow colors. This is one of those style choices that needs a reason more than the rest simply because it is so distracting and while not the most overused anymore, has been in the past.

I find using a rainbow overlay works best in the shadows as the strongest point, while the lighter regions should be affected much less. This is because real photos behave this way, the lighter the region the less the color while the darker regions have more color.

Again, don't take this as a bashing, that is never my point! I just want you to see how it can be used as a more subtle element to provide interest rather than a foreground element which takes away from the picture.

Most reactions

Back