Trying to figure out this whole lense flare thing....

cdnaiphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am trying to master this whole lense flare thing...I know its not perfect but am I atleast going in the right direction?

_DSC01812.jpg

so why do you want lens flare?

My question as well - you want lens flare?

If you don't want lens flare, why do they put lens flare render on Photoshop? I love lens flare! I notice 50mm prime produces really nice flare!

so why do you want lens flare?

My question as well - you want lens flare?

The same reason you want any other element in a photograph; because you feel it adds to the image.

In the case of the OPs image, yes, I think you're going in the right direction. I'm not fond of the angle, but that's a personal thing. I really like the warm, gold glow that this shot bring's to the child's hair.

Are you going for the low contrast due to too much light kind of look?? It looks like that might be what youre trying to achieve. Try leaving the shutter open a bit longer and see if that helps you to achieve the desired effect.

here is one that my 50mm produced. I love it.

_MG_6121.jpg

Are you going for the low contrast due to too much light kind of look?? It looks like that might be what youre trying to achieve. Try leaving the shutter open a bit longer and see if that helps you to achieve the desired effect.

Sorta..I want to be able to see the subject but still give that glow..

If you don't want lens flare, why do they put lens flare render on Photoshop? I love lens flare! I notice 50mm prime produces really nice flare!

That was a 35mm...I cannot wait to get my 50mm! I also LOVE lens flare but it seems like I am not doing it right... Do I need less of the sun, more of the sun, different angle? I just don't feel like I am nailing it....

I never tried it on direct sunlight. I always try it when the sun is behind bunch of leaves. I think you got it. Maybe the temparature is a little warm. Too yellow.

You are on the right track. Shooting toward a strong morning or evening sun is a good place to start for lens flare and ghosting. Removing any filters, and also removing lens hoods, can make the flare look its best. Some lenses flare more than others. Some lenses flare the MOST when the sun is just outside the frame, and the sunlight rakes across the front element at an angle; other lenses seem to flare more when the sun is included within the picture frame area.

Removing the lens hood will give you more lens flare. Likewise, using UV/clear filters will give you more flare as well. Lower-quality lenses are more prone to flare, so if you want even more flare then you might want to use your worst lens.

That being said, it's all about the angle you shoot from in relation to the sources of light, so try moving yourself and/or the camera/lens until you find the amount/quality of flare that suits your personal taste.

Lens flare seems to have been in vogue on sites like Flickr for a while. While at this point it has become a bit annoying (especially the flare added in post), the right scene with the right flare can be beautiful.

Last edited:

Sorta..I want to be able to see the subject but still give that glow..

Right, I think we are thinking of the same style of photo..and you definitely look like youre getting close. I wanted to do get this technique down as well for when I shoot my sister and her fiance for an engagement session soon. Try adjusting your exposure so that the meter is actually reading that the image will be over exposed... give that a shot and mess around with it a bit, maybe that will give you something a litte bit closer to your desired photo.

Derrel
Some lenses flare more than others.
Here is a lens that flairs more than others, a Russian Industar 50/3.5. You can get one on eBay for about $30 & then you would need to buy an adapter to fit this manual lens to your camera.

IMG_4054sm.jpg

Ron, do you have pictures of said lens flare? I'd like to take a peek...

But from what I've heard... IN RUSSIA; LIGHT REFRACTS IN YOU!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back