TTL Capable Wireless Triggers/Receivers?

Light Artisan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just curious if there are any reliable ones yet? Thought about the non-TTL RF602 but wanted to see what else was out there first. I've read the Pixel model isn't quite there yet.

I don't want to rely on the built in Commander mode due to line of sight/distance limitations I've been experiencing.

Thank you

PS, I'm not interested in investing in the more expensive options like Pocket Wizards or CyberSyncs at this time.

Radio Poppers.

They take your camera/flash TTL communication and transmit it via radio waves. Apparently they work very well. You still need a Master unit on-camera though. So for Canon, you'd still need a 580EX on camera to trigger your Slave units (580EX or 430EX).

Good to know, but a bit pricey!
I haven't had any problems with the Commander/CLS system yet, minus the bleed over from the on camera pop with a close subject, but it's something to look into.

I'm using the Radio Poppers, and they've been excellent so far. Not a missed flash yet no matter where anything is placed - no more line of site issues at all.

I've got a PX transmitter communicating ETTL from camera / ST-E2 Canon Commander to two 580EXII's using PX receivers, along with non-ETTL to 4 studio heads using the less expensive JrX Studio receivers.

I calculated that it cost me about half what the PWs would have cost, plus I've heard that there have been problems with the PWs when it comes to TTL, and Canon's ETTL in particular.

I'm very happy with them.

Yeah, looks like I'd have to get the PX series as the JrX doesn't support TTL - is that correct?

I'm using the Radio Poppers, and they've been excellent so far. Not a missed flash yet no matter where anything is placed - no more line of site issues at all.

I've got a PX transmitter communicating ETTL from camera / ST-E2 Canon Commander to two 580EXII's using PX receivers, along with non-ETTL to 4 studio heads using the less expensive JrX Studio receivers.

I calculated that it cost me about half what the PWs would have cost, plus I've heard that there have been problems with the PWs when it comes to TTL, and Canon's ETTL in particular.

I'm very happy with them.

Did you get these on sale or promo priced? I hadn't heard of Radio Poppers when I picked up my PW TT1 and TT5. It looks as though the Px series is more expensive than the PW plus I didn't have to pay for shipping. I have been using the PW in studio now for a couple of months on my Canons without any issues. I should say though, I have never fired from more than 25' away. I'll have to do a test later today to gauge effective range.

No sale or promo priced. When I was looking for a radio system to replace my ebay Chinese knockoffs, the PWs were going for something like $300 each for transmitters and receivers, as I recall. (Prices may be much different now - I haven't kept up with it since my purchases) I wanted 7 units; 1 transmitter and 6 receivers, which was looking like about $2K. With the RP's, 4 of those units (JrX Studios) were $100 each, bringing it all down to closer to $1K.

Also, at the time, there were problems being reported with the PW's working with Canon ETTL. Those issues are probably resolved by now - again, I haven't kept up since my purchases.

In any case, I'm happy with the RP system.

Most reactions

Back