Two Pansies - please C&C

Raizels

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These flowers grow in my in-law's rock garden. They are so tiny! I must have taken about 20 shots before I got anything that wasn't blurry!

Her they are:

100_0638-2.jpg

• Shoot flowers on a tripod, it makes life easier.
  • You shouldn't shoot down on flowers. You should get yourself down to their level, or even below them. (Sometimes this means getting dirty)
  • Try not to get dead/wilting flowers in the shot.
  • The focus still isn't sharp, so I stress my first point :greenpbl:

Good attempt, it just doesn't do much for me other than being a snapshot.

Thanks for the pointers. LOL about getting dirty, especially in a rock garden...

Only thing I didn't understand is - why would I film from below?

Thanks for the pointers. LOL about getting dirty, especially in a rock garden...

Only thing I didn't understand is - why would I film from below?

You shoot from below or down at it's level because it's something you don't see every day. I saw your other flower thread and it's the same thing. You have the "walk up, point, click" feel to your shots. There is no sense of composition put into the shots to grab the viewers attention. It's a perfect definition for a "snap-shot."

It's hard to critique a shot like that because there are endless possibilities for things that could have been done differently if more thought had been put into it.

hmmm. lots to think about. Thanks :)

hmmm. lots to think about. Thanks :)

Next time you take shots of a flower, try this: Never duplicate the same angle twice. If you shoot one from above, don't do it again. Try to take at least 5 different shots all from different angles/perspectives. Really put some thought into it while you are out there and it will pay off.

Thank you so much for your advice here and in the other thread. I really appreciate it.

BTW, on the same subject, is my pic of the hibiscus in the nature forum closer to what you mean?

Thank you so much for your advice here and in the other thread. I really appreciate it.

BTW, on the same subject, is my pic of the hibiscus in the nature forum closer to what you mean?

Closer, yes. I would have positioned the hibiscus facing into the picture, which would have been further to the right. Think of the front of the flower as the "face" and you want it to be looking into the picture, not out of it. Don't center the object in all of your shots, but don't be one of "those" people who just learned the rule of thirds and every picture you take is divided into thirds lol.

I did post a different cropping there per your advice, I think it was yesterday.

Most reactions

Back