Two Pictures from Outdoors

Glycerol Sound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4808929581_6e0d7004eb_b.jpg

4818132187_dceca4b0f2_b.jpg

Obviously a lot of post, especially on the second, but I view post as just adding to the piece of artwork, instead of correcting or making up for it. Would love some feedback though :thumbup: Thanks

Nice work. A couple of thoughts:

1. The white balance is off here; the image has a strong, blue cast, and seems just a little under-exposed. Compositionally, I think I would prefer to seea little less of the area upper right, and more of the water.

2. A nice, tranquil scene. Looking at the image, I think a shooting position further image right, which would have eliminated the large, dark boulder would have improved things. The over-exposed and washed out sky is a detriment here. Consider the use of a polarizing filter and shooting earlier in the day.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I agree with tirediron's comments. Specifically, in the first one, I would crop out the branch in the upper-right corner...I find it to be a minor distraction in an otherwise nicely composed photograph.

Regarding the second photograph, again, I agree with tirediron's comments on the technical flaws, but nevertheless, I just love the scene and the way you composed it; not necessarily from a technical standpoint, but because of the way it makes me feel. I happen to like the dark boulder. That feeling of tranquility from being in the woods is difficult to portray in a photo, but you've done it well.

Last edited:
Infidel got it before me! I was just going to say the upper right corner with the branch messes it up for me. Also the one dry rock in the lower left messes it up for me too. The white balance of the water gives it a surreal effect, not sure if thats what you were going for.

The second one I like! I just with the sky wasn't so harsh and it didn't look so foggy. I love the composition though.

I really liked #2. I did a quick edit to clear it up a little, not that I am a pro or anything. I dunno, you might be happy with the results. It was just something quick to show what can be done in post. Some of the others here could probably give you some better hints, this was merely a start.

4818132187_dceca4b0f2_b.jpg

Here was another I did, as not to creat such a harsh white contrast in the stones, as well as seeing a bit more of the log on the left side.
4818132187_dceca4b0f2_b2.jpg

In relation to the two posts above, I think the fogginess is one of the things that I happen to really like about the second photograph; the edits posted above "clarified" that for me. In other words, the edits, while nicely done, took away the peaceful softness that I like in the original.

It really is all on how you want the mood to come across. Some people like it, some people won't...it just all depends. Myself, I was merely giving some examples, of other opportunities that could be there, that perhaps might not have been seen. To me the second has kind of an older film look, almost like a capture from an older movie. I think there is a lot of potential to do some really neat things with that image.

In relation to the two posts above, I think the fogginess is one of the things that I happen to really like about the second photograph; the edits posted above "clarified" that for me. In other words, the edits, while nicely done, took away the peaceful softness that I like in the original.
I agree. Sometimes having saturated and "correct" colors does nothing for an image. This is why people still shoot polaroids and cross-process.

I like the washed out look. I would have taken it further, personally.

It really is all on how you want the mood to come across. Some people like it, some people won't...it just all depends. Myself, I was merely giving some examples, of other opportunities that could be there, that perhaps might not have been seen. To me the second has kind of an older film look, almost like a capture from an older movie. I think there is a lot of potential to do some really neat things with that image.

Of your two edits, I like the second one much better than the first...I see what you mean about the movie capture effect...could even apply a film grain effect in post.

Thank you for those who understood I edited it to look like that for that dreamy, old feel. The photo is in fact called Ancient. But to those who didnt, different people see different things I guess. And the feedback always is appreciated so thank you everyone

Most reactions

Back