UFO question - do you believe?

jadin said:
triggerhappy said:
jadin said:
I don't understand how any reasoning person can believe in the big bang. The chances of it occuring with life resulting are so astronomically low, statitians would consider it impossible.

You clearly don't read enough terry pratchet :wink:

jadin said:
energy = mass x speed of light sqaured

so mass doesn't = energy.

But mass and energy are interchangable. Mass can become energy and energy mass - it's partly why light is such a puzzle.

But not on a 1 to 1 basis. Thus why the equation is stated as it is. Otherwise it would simply be "e=m"

yes....im sorry....im not to good with sciency things, where are you going with this? There is a correlation between light and mass in some respects..thats all I meant, not that there was a 1:1 ratio...

triggerhappy said:
Artemis said:
Yo sorry Jadin, I know im an idiot and make up stupid things sometimes :(

Don't be daft. You clearly have much better things to do then hang around physics labs :wink:

ehehe thanks Trig, seems you know your stuff though, so I think I may stand back in this convo and let you take the lead dear friend.

Artemis said:
triggerhappy said:
Artemis said:

Don't be daft. You clearly have much better things to do then hang around physics labs :wink:

ehehe thanks Trig, seems you know your stuff though, so I think I may stand back in this convo and let you take the lead dear friend.

I'd rather you didn't. If I'm not careful they'll find out its all for show :shock:

triggerhappy said:
Artemis said:
triggerhappy said:
Artemis said:

I'd rather you didn't. If I'm not careful they'll find out its all for show :shock:

See, you know loads, youe even quoting Einstein now! LOL!

Mass and energy are basically the same thing. E=mc2 is telling us that if you accelerate mass to the speed of light it behaves as if it were energy. If you slow energy down below the speed of light it starts behaving like matter. If you keep this in mind then the behaviour of photons becomes easier to understand.
Of course, all this depends on where you are standing when you observe it. To us a photon is moving at the speed of light, but to a photon things appear different. It is stationary while we are travel at the speed of light.

As for the Big Bang - just because we find it difficult to believe does not make it impossible. The fact that we are here means that not only is it possible but it actually happened. And there is far more evidence to support the Big Bang theory than there is eveidence to support the existence of God. And how many reasoning people believe in Him?

I believe in both, I believe the the big bang was god creating life, and thats the way he does things.

But of course, this is my personal opinion, I believe in god because perhaps im scared, I also find it hard to believe that he couldnt exist :)

Hertz van Rental said:
As for the Big Bang - just because we find it difficult to believe does not make it impossible.

The same sentence can be applied to God.

Hertz van Rental said:
The fact that we are here means that not only is it possible but it actually happened.

What kind of propaganda you trying to pull with this one? This is a huge gap in logic. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. You're implying one must equal the other which is simply not true.

Hertz van Rental said:
And there is far more evidence to support the Big Bang theory than there is eveidence to support the existence of God. And how many reasoning people believe in Him?

What evidence is that? It's called a "theory" for a reason. I.e. it can't be proven.

Well of course it cant be proven, we cant exactly go back in time to visit the big bang, as time travel is impossible.

A question comes to mind.

Have you ever seen a million pounds?

No?

But it still exists doesnt it.

What I mean by this is the fact just because your mind cant see the big bang (because it is impossible to imagine the beggining of time) doesnt mean it doesnt exist...

Artemis said:
Well of course it cant be proven, we cant exactly go back in time to visit the big bang, as time travel is impossible.

A question comes to mind.

Have you ever seen a million pounds?

No?

But it still exists doesnt it.

What I mean by this is the fact just because your mind cant see the big bang (because it is impossible to imagine the beggining of time) doesnt mean it doesnt exist...

Replace "big bang" with "god" and the statements you said are just as true.

It is true on both accounts my dear Jadin.

So then why do you say that the Big Bang is impossible? god isnt impossible? there has to be something, because otherwise there would be nothing...

Hertz claimed there was more evidence to explain the big bang. That was why I asked for evidence. Yes it could've happened, but the possibility does not become proof.

Just a friendly reminder to watch how we respond, we're on thin ice with the mods on this subject. ;)

I see your side of the story, but there is alot of proof that it happend, impact crators, nebulas, we can apparently "Hear" the big bang, yes no alians that existed before it recorded it, but there is substantial info.

There is also something called the "Red shift" I think thats it anyways, which lets us know the universe is expanding, thats just the little amount of infomation I know about the subject :)

Artemis said:
I see your side of the story, but there is alot of proof that it happend, impact crators, nebulas, we can apparently "Hear" the big bang, yes no alians that existed before it recorded it, but there is substantial info.

This is chicken and egg talk. How could something impact what it was said to create.

Artemis said:
There is also something called the "Red shift" I think thats it anyways, which lets us know the universe is expanding, thats just the little amount of infomation I know about the subject :)

The universe expanding doesn't disprove God or the bible. In fact the bible speaks of the universe expanding thousands of years before the idea ever popped into man's head. Zechariah 12:1 "...the One who is stretching out [the] heavens..." Isaiah 44:24 "...stretching out the heavens by Myself." Among others.

Most reactions

Back