Uh-Oh! Canon to throw down the gauntlet! What does this mean to you, as a N-shooter?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, sorry for the extensively long title, but I didn't want this thread to be forwarded to the Canon forum, as it's intended for Nikon shooters. Anywho, should the rumblings from the rumor mill be true, Canon is about to throw down the gauntlet (my commentary in green):

3DX:
46 MP
3.7 frame per second
Dual DIGIC 5+
ISO: (25) 50-6400 (12800) (Great. Especially on the low-end)
AF: Same as 1DX
USB 3
CF+SD - (perhaps a tad confusing why they wouldn't put 2x CF cards in..)

7DII:
24MP - an all new sensor with phase AF on chip and noticeably lower noise than the current 18MP. (Sounds fantastic.)
1Dx/5D3 based AF system. (Great, of course.)
10 FPS. (..at 24MP. Great.)
ISO 100-25600. (Great).
High speed video, with still capture. (VERY anticipated. If it's at least at 720p, and at least 1080p60, it's still a win.)
Improved durability and sealing. (Always welcomed)
Available this year. (O.O)
Read more on PhotoRumors.com: Rumored high megapixels Canon EOS-3D X and EOS-7D Mark II cameras | Photo Rumors

Anywho, That 7DII seriously sounds like a killer camera. The 3Dx sounds great too, but the 7DII sounds impeccable. Being an avid Nikon shooter, this can only mean one thing. Great things are to come from Nikon. With a 7DII, it's almost impossible for Nikon to NOT come out with a king-of-the-hill DX replacement. And, if my thoughts are correct, it should be incredible, as the 7DII sounds to be. Either way, great things are to come from both companies. What do you think? What are you most excited about? What do you think this means for Nikon's upcoming lineup? Either way, the D4x and D7100/D400 are looking incredible by association and nothing else.

Mark

Wow sounds amazing. Like you said, Nikon will see this and try and come up with something as good/better!

It may not be a safe assumption that Nikon does anything in response to what Canon does.

Last edited:
It may not be a safe assumption that Nikon does anything in response to to what Canon does.

That point aside, it's no secret that Nikon will likely produce a pro-grade, pro-bodied higher-MP camera, and a new flagship DX camera (whether it be a D400 or D7100 is beside the point also). So, whether it is in direct competition with Canon (which, in order to remain competitive, it will need to be) or not, it's a safe bet to say that Nikon will be releasing a camera in both of these categories.

Mark

It really means nothing to me as a Nikon shooter, except that Nikon will probably produce a similar, or better-spec'd model, at a lower price and with higher reliability. Witness, the 5D-III versus the D800...or the cheapest Canon Rebel and the 24-megapixel, $699 Nikon D3200, or the Nikon D3x at 24.5MP versus the Canon 1D-IV at 21 MP. The two companies will probably continue to go back and forth. Canon's BIGGEST hurdle though is going to be in designing and producing some decent wide-angle primes and wide-angle zooms...Canon has been lagging badly in wide primes and zooms for a decade and a half...if they DO make a 46MP camera, they don't have a decent wide-angle zoom to work with it...even their 16-35-L Mark II lags behind compared to the discontinued 17-35 Nikkor, and the 14-24 Nikkor is one of the world's best zooms...and BETTER than most all of Canon's entire wide-angle "standard" prime lineup.

I mean, WHEN will Canon finally get around to updating its 24/1.4 and 35/1.4-L series lenses? Nikon has two standard prime lenses in those slots that are currently the class leaders--and a ZOOM, the 14-24, that blows away almost any other prime lens between 14 and 24mm...Canon has...old chit that's pretty pathetic when shot on their 1D-IV or other 22-MP class sensors...and the people who CRAVE high,high,high MP cameras are highly concentrated in the LANDSCAPE/NATURE segments, where actual, PRINTED, high-resolution images are common...high MP bodies are great, ut one needs GREAT lenses to leverage them...

Canon keeps doing okay on the bodies, off and on...but their LENS strategies seem pretty lame. Why do they continually produce such crappy wides and such so-so wide zooms?

I think Canon's lens focus in the last year or two was on their big white super telephoto lenses - even though many of them took months longer than they should have to reach the market. Heck you mention wide angle - Canon needs a new 50mm f1.4 as theirs currently lags against the Sigma offering.

That said I suspect Canon will push more on their long lenses for a while yet - I've still to wonder if we'll see MII versions of the 400mm f5.6, 300mm f4 and the ever rumoured 100-400mm. That said they might be holding off on new versions of them - its no illusion that new lenses end up with a near double price jump over the old ones and the £1K market in those three lenses does net canon a lot of new customers interested in those focal lengths at that budget point (whereas nikon only has the one 300mm f4).

As for the new rumoured bodies - eh - I wish they'd stop boosting the MP! Not so much because of noise but because each time they bump the MP users have to:
1) Upgrade their storage (both computer and camera memory cards)

2) Get used to a whole new world of 100% crop views and "softness at 100%".

Honestly I think if they held the MP values stable for a release or two they could really work some outstanding magic with them.

Doesn't mean much to me and I shoot with Canon and Nikon. On the other hand, competition is great for us so I hope Nikon, as a company, thinks they need to answer Canons cameras.

It may not be a safe assumption that Nikon does anything in response to to what Canon does.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there may be truth in this. With regard to recent outings by both Nikon and Canon, it seems Canon releases more models compared to Nikon. Another thing I've noticed too is that Canon seems to "surround" Nikon with slightly better and slightly lower models. ie. T3-D3100-T2i; T2i-D5100-T3i (tight match though); 60D-D7000-7D and so forth. Maybe it's just me but let's not create a flame war ala Windows vs Mac, Android vs iOS. After all both companies make good cameras but AFAIK Canon is the bigger company today and is not limited to photography products. After all, one can have the 5D Mk III and still take mediocre photos. It's not only about the gear but the user as well.

These cameras only exist as rumors, so far. Not much to comment on a virtual gauntlet really.

I'm personally ready for the FF d600. I don't really care what Canon comes out with unless I can use my Nikkor lenses with it.........lol

Honestly I think if they held the MP values stable for a release or two they could really work some outstanding magic with them.

What do you mean??? Canon held the MP level of the 5DIII at almost the SAME LEVEL as they did with the 5D Mark II...four years and they added what was it?? Canon added ONE megapixel to the same old sensor? And still Canon could not manage to get rid of the banding and pattern noise in the shadows when the images were "lifted" in post....and that issue was not at elevated ISO values, but even worse, was at BASE ISO-levels...

Look at the controlled tests that Fred Miranda HIMSELF, and by that I mean *the* Fred Miranda, not a website member, did...Part II - Controlled tests

Canon has not shown much ability in sensor development over the last few years. They spent FOUR YEARS doing nothing much with the 5D-III sensor...Canon finally put in a decent AF system in their 5D MArk III, to replace the 9-area one they borrowed from the 20D...and used for two entire generations of FF bodies...pretty lame...

As Fred Miranda wrote: "It's no secret that the Canon 5D Mark II does not have the cleanest shadows even at base ISO 100. It's usually unnoticeable in good light if we don't start pushing it in post. However, even perfectly exposed shots in high contrast lighting will show, color and luma noise in the shadows when pushed one or two stops in software. To make matters worse, you might even find some banding or visible horizontal and vertical line patterns. At this point, I was wondering how the 5D Mark III and D800 would deal with noise at base ISO. Canon shooters brace yourselves because I don't have good news."

As a canon shooter... The specs on those things listed LOOK great, but they seem to be the sales gimmicks too. WHY do I need a 3D? For megapixels alone? I can live without 50 ISO. It's not worth it to me over the 7D or possible 7D2 which will have better high ISO ability. I can buy something to limit my low end. Can't buy anything to expand my high end.
It's about damn time they got their crap together on the focus systems.
I want to know more about dynamic range here?
This seems like the megapixel war only expanded-so far.
I'd like to see reality and testing.

I'd like 24mp in a D300s body with AF at least as good as the multicam 3500.
Until then, my D700 and D90 will suffice.

I can be equally incompetent with any camera Nikon makes.

Most reactions

Back