Uh-Oh! Canon to throw down the gauntlet! What does this mean to you, as a N-shooter?

Derrel said:
THAT type of comment is often regarded by Canon loyalists as "flame bait"...hence my actual effort above, to go and screen-cap some truly relevant photographic results to prove my point, which is that Canon is having a TOUGH GO OF IT, sensor-wise...they are getting their butts kicked by the Nikon sensors which can do on-chip noise reduction BEFORE the digital signal is run through the digital to analog converter phase...Nikon has a BETTER SYSTEM, and one that Canon does not have access to...so yeah...a 36 megapixel Nikon blows the doors off of a 22 MP Canon, at BASE ISO, with only MINOR post-provessing tweaks added to lift the shadows!!!

Canon is STILL limping along with, basically, the 5D-Mark TWO's sensor, over four years later....STILL suffering from chroma noise, and pattern noise, in HEAPS. WHo thinks Canon has a GREAT new sensor technology ready to go??? Raise your hands? Nobody? FOur years to make a MArk III that finally has a decent AF system--but has basically the same,old, warmed-over sensor as the 5D-2 had???

That "megapixel race" thing Canon was doin' has come back and bitten them on the arse...

Why is it that every time you pick a side you make the opposition seem like its absolutely, disgustingly bad and/or unusable? XD

I still shoot with a 1D Mark II. It's almost a decade old. I've never heard anyone critique me on "omg look at all of that chroma noise."

I agree that Nikon partnered with Sony does make better sensors, but you emblazon the chit out of your posts with so many capitalizations that it makes me wonder why I'm using such a painfully inferior camera. Now that I think about it....The poor quality of the 5Ds makes me vomit in my mouth a little.

Last edited:
Mark, I know you're a gadget geek but as a Nikon shooter, I'm curious as to why I should even care? :???: I mean, awesome to the Canon shooter but this has no bearing to my current set-up or wants and needs. The only thing this means is Canon is rolling out good camera's for their users and more Nikon VS Canon hater threads.

I see it like this. If Canon doesn't abandon the pro DX shooter, neither will Nikon. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
The D7000 body doesn't cut it for me and I bought a D700 instead for that reason. I care very little about the D600 as it's rumored to be configured.
If I'm stuck with less, so be it. But I want Nikon to maintain the top of the line DX body. If Canon does this, then Nikon will be more likely to do so as well, rather than give up market share by default.
At least that's what many DX shooters hope.

Rexbobcat, I am new here, so just wondering why are all the "L"s red in your signature?

Parker219 said:
Rexbobcat, I am new here, so just wondering why are all the "L"s red in your signature?

Lol it's just because they're normally red on the barrel of the lenses that have it.

It also means that for every lens I get that has a red L on it my photography skill goes up 50% ;)

Canon, as I recall, came out with the first digital SLR body under $1000. They usually come out with a cheaper version first and then everybody else follows them shortly. It means nothing to me. A few years ago I decided I needed autofocus bodies and lenses because my eyeballs were not getting any younger. I looked around very carefully and saw that --at that precise time -- Minolta had a camera with more features than anyone else. It can change monthly. So I went out and bought a Nikon "entry level professional" system because I had so much Nikon stuff I could use with the new camera bodies.
Heck, I just dragged out my Nikon F body (made in 1965) and I am going to get it fixed. I dropped it in 1974 and it hasn't worked since.
Canon? It's the other side of the moon, although the cameras are okay, I'm not a brand snob.

I thought canon made cheaper FF bodies available a while back... Well before Nikon since the first rumored one is the d600?

Anyway I still say DX has like 3-5 years left and is going to get dropped.

Yeah, Fanboy much there rexbobcat???

I have a $10,000 Canon d-slr system...I bought it and payed for it...and have had it since, oh, what was it?? 2006 or so... yeah...weird...I own Nikon and shoot that, and I ALSO OWN been shooting a Canon 20D, 580 EL-II flash, Canon 5D, 24-105-L, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 135/2-L, 135 2.8 S.F., and 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM, and a few other lenses, like the Canon 100 EF Macro, 50/1.8 Canon, sigma 18-125, Sigma 80-400 OS, etc,etc. And even though I OWN some L-series lenses, I do not list ANY of my equipment in my sig file...

I have a $10,000 Canon d-slr system...I bought it and payed for it...and have had it since, oh, what was it?? 2006 or so... yeah...weird...I own Nikon and shoot that, and I ALSO OWN been shooting a Canon 20D, 580 EL-II flash, Canon 5D, 24-105-L, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 135/2-L, 135 2.8 S.F., and 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM, and a few other lenses, like the Canon 100 EF Macro, 50/1.8 Canon, sigma 18-125, Sigma 80-400 OS, etc,etc. And even though I OWN some L-series lenses, I do not list ANY of my equipment in my sig file...

I suppose I never really asked. Out of curiosity, why do you shoot so many systems?

Mark

It means absolutely nothing. It just means that gear heads will have to spend more money but for photographers...it's business as usual.

Derrel said:

My fanboyism doesn't change the objective fact that every other word of every one of your posts is capitalized for unnecessary emphasis.

You really overestimate how much I care about the gear you have as opposed to the words you post on this forum.

I don't understand how the whole signature thing changes how your words are perceived on the forum. I can own a Porsche and a Mercedes and have radical over-emphasized views about both of them. But obviously if I own both they must not be as omg horrible as I make them out to be. Either that or I don't have the capability to find a better alternative.

I don't like the 60D all that much for photos because the colors and tones aren't as accurate and rich as those of the 1D, but I don't go around being like "the tones are SOOOO inaccurate, AND the HIGH ISO noise is APPALLING and is THREE generations BEHIND other sensors."

I was just implying that you make the 5DII sounds horribly inferior to other current systems, and that's not really true...

Um... What?

That was like a drunken rhino on an icy road.

Most reactions

Back