What's new

Uh oh! I tried to clean my 40D sensor and pieces fell out everywhere!

OMG ... this is too funny.


OK, look - if you're going to take small, delicate, things apart - take notes. :lol:
Take pictures, draw it, do something so that you know how to put it back together.


You took it apart, so you can put it back together. If you knew where everything went, that is.


Like someone else said, that information is not going to be easy to find online. What you probably need is a drawing of the camera. You know, the one they use to make them. You are NOT going to find that anywhere online, and Canon is NOT going to give you a copy, lol.

You should still be able to figure it out by looking at the parts though.


If you can't figure out where stuff goes by looking at it, then you are screwed.


The first two pieces in the diagram are almost like metal borders.
Those are probably shims for the focusing screen.
 
what did you take the perfectly composed evenly spaced picture of all the parts with? Next time take the screw driver and jam it in your eye. You should go pay and have it fixed ( and have the sensor cleaned properly while you are at it. Since you didn't have enough brain cells to know not to go unscrewing stuff willy nilly, you probably didn't do too much justice to cleaning the sensor.)

I still think this has got to be a joke.
 
HAHA, when i first saw this post, I thought those pictures were 8 bit video game characters not parts photos:lol:
I can relate, Im alway taking my engine apart in my $20,000 truck and can never get it back together without having a few extra parts lying around, obviously ones not needed. Whats the big deal, theyre just not needed.:thumbup:
 
HAHA, when i first saw this post, I thought those pictures were 8 bit video game characters not parts photos:lol:
I can relate, Im alway taking my engine apart in my $20,000 truck and can never get it back together without having a few extra parts lying around, obviously ones not needed. Whats the big deal, theyre just not needed.:thumbup:
And now your engine is lighter and faster! :lol:
 
Call this number and tell them what you did. (949) 753-4237
When they stop laughing they will give you this address to send the camera to.

Canon Factory Service Center
15955 Alton Pkwy
Irvine, CA 92618

Once they get the camera they will examine it and give you a price on fixing it. You then decide if you want them to fix it or not.

By the way, exactly how were you planning on cleaning the sensor? Did you pickup a sensor cleaning kit like the the Copper Hill system or were you just going to do the Windex thing with a piece of newspaper? If you picked up a system a little RTFM time would have been helpful.

A little Google time would be good. This is the very first site that popped up on a search for sensor cleaning. Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

FYI "We call it cleaning the sensor, but in reality you never actually clean the sensor itself, but a low pass filter mounted in front of the sensor." They also have a section on cleaning the parts that you removed. Their system is much easier, safer, and cheaper in the long run than yours. Just a thought. :D
 
Last edited:
It sounds like he was actually trying to clean the focusing screen, rather than the sensor.

From all of the horror stories I've heard about people trying to clean their focusing screen - if a blower doesn't work, learn to live with the dust.

Yes, it is annoying to look at dust all the time, but it won't be in the pictures - so just learn to ignore it.


From what you've said (the OP), you likely need a new focusing screen by now.
I'm not convinced that you would have taken the precautions not to damage it...

I mean, technically it will still work and everything, but now it will look even worse than it did when you decided to start taking your camera apart.
 
It sounds like he was actually trying to clean the focusing screen, rather than the sensor.

From all of the horror stories I've heard about people trying to clean their focusing screen - if a blower doesn't work, learn to live with the dust.

Yes, it is annoying to look at dust all the time, but it won't be in the pictures - so just learn to ignore it.


From what you've said (the OP), you likely need a new focusing screen by now.
I'm not convinced that you would have taken the precautions not to damage it...

I mean, technically it will still work and everything, but now it will look even worse than it did when you decided to start taking your camera apart.

Would that be similar to doing a Ring and Valve Job on the transmission???:mrgreen:
 
I enjoy the philistine notions of what assumes intelligence here. Acting before you think does not connote brain cells, or the ability to be analytical.

In my case, it's that I hate technology, I don't care about it, and I hate utilitarian principles that form the guidelines of being organized and approaching technology completely logically and carefully - so without any care about it, I simply act without putting any positive emotion or thinking towards it.

While I understand the logic behind this organization that provides positive results with your technology, I choose erratically to be distanced from it, perhaps because of my hermeneutic hatred for common sense.

I realize that it has dire consequences towards my equipment, but I think in a different level. I have a master's degree, I write highly developed phenomenological philosophy books etc - so, this whole notion of 'common sense = brain cells' is absurd.

I agree, a paradox isn't it? To create stunning art, I must use this technology to do so. However, the problem I see, is even if I am a bumbling 'artist', I am an artist.. I create great art. Instead of the mass of idiots who focus hours upon hours upon technical details, and knowing the nerd talk and organization of photography (who have turgid photography) at-least the final photographs I produce are stunning and have acclaim.

However, instead of this becoming a typical neanderthal forum thread, perhaps the half of those with plebeian insults can simply leave, and the ones with technical suggestions can give input?

The past is done. Help me with the present.
 
Last edited:
I enjoy the philistine notions of what assumes intelligence here. Acting before you think does not connote brain cells, or the ability to be analytical.

In my case, it's that I hate technology, I don't care about it, and I hate utilitarian principles that form the guidelines of being organized and approaching technology completely logically and carefully - so without any care about it, I simply act without putting any positive emotion or thinking towards it.

While I understand the logic behind this organization that provides positive results with your technology, I choose erratically to be distanced from it, perhaps because of my hermeneutic hatred for common sense.
QUOTE]
How do you ever expect to put it back together if you have a hermeneutic hatred for common sense. Call cannon.
 
You have only two options.

Send it in for service, or put it back together yourself.

Either way, you may need a new focusing screen now. If you get a new one and install it yourself, be extremely careful with it.

I'm not sure about your camera specifically, but some cameras have focusing screens that can be replaced by the user, others must be sent to the service center (that just means that you have to take stuff apart to the point that it would void the warranty if you did it yourself).

Pretty sure your warranty is probably void now anyway... I have no idea how much it would cost if you sent it in, but I can't imagine it being very much.

I've heard that a shutter replacement costs $2-300, something like this should be much cheaper. I would be surprised if it cost $100, including a new focusing screen. You figure the focusing screen probably costs $40 or something, the other parts would be virtually free, and the labor shouldn't be too much. (Not too much as in hours to accomplish the work - I have no idea what their rates are.)
 
I enjoy the philistine notions of what assumes intelligence here. Acting before you think does not connote brain cells, or the ability to be analytical.

In my case, it's that I hate technology, I don't care about it, and I hate utilitarian principles that form the guidelines of being organized and approaching technology completely logically and carefully - so without any care about it, I simply act without putting any positive emotion or thinking towards it.

While I understand the logic behind this organization that provides positive results with your technology, I choose erratically to be distanced from it, perhaps because of my hermeneutic hatred for common sense.

I realize that it has dire consequences towards my equipment, but I think in a different level. I have a master's degree, I write highly developed phenomenological philosophy books etc - so, this whole notion of 'common sense = brain cells' is absurd.

I agree, a paradox isn't it? To create stunning art, I must use this technology to do so. However, the problem I see, is even if I am a bumbling 'artist', I am an artist.. I create great art. Instead of the mass of idiots who focus hours upon hours upon technical details, and knowing the nerd talk and organization of photography (who have turgid photography) at-least the final photographs I produce are stunning and have acclaim.

However, instead of this becoming a typical neanderthal forum thread, perhaps the half of those with plebeian insults can simply leave, and the ones with technical suggestions can give input?

The past is done. Help me with the present.

Your patronizing tone aside in your seriously belated reply to this threasd, your predicament is so unusual and absurd that, until you finally popped back into the thread, myself and a few others thought that this incident was so preposterous that it was, most likely, a send-up. If you had followed the norms of this group and returned promptly, or at least responded like a grownup with a master's degree in any field, and followed up your original post in a timely manner, you might have received more helpful suggestions. But then you could not have been a smart guy with a master's degree throwing around big words and patronizing people with much broader and deeper mechanical aptitude and knowledge of a 110-year-old machine design, like that used in basically every, single stinking single lens reflex camera made from the 1890's to the 2010's...

And yeah...this is like doing a valve and ring job on a transmission...it's so odd that it almost seemed like a send-up, or as the Brits call it, a wind-up.
 
You know what I like to do when dismantling something ... I take pictures of it as I go with each step. So take your 40D and take a picture of your 40D before unscrewing anything. And then with each dismantling step of your 40D take another picture of it with your 40D.

Oh...

Wait...

:lol:

Sorry, I'm *still* not believing that this is real, and if it *is* real then... well... well...
 
I enjoy the philistine notions of what assumes intelligence here. Acting before you think does not connote brain cells, or the ability to be analytical.

In my case, it's that I hate technology, I don't care about it, and I hate utilitarian principles that form the guidelines of being organized and approaching technology completely logically and carefully - so without any care about it, I simply act without putting any positive emotion or thinking towards it.

While I understand the logic behind this organization that provides positive results with your technology, I choose erratically to be distanced from it, perhaps because of my hermeneutic hatred for common sense.

I realize that it has dire consequences towards my equipment, but I think in a different level. I have a master's degree, I write highly developed phenomenological philosophy books etc - so, this whole notion of 'common sense = brain cells' is absurd.

I agree, a paradox isn't it? To create stunning art, I must use this technology to do so. However, the problem I see, is even if I am a bumbling 'artist', I am an artist.. I create great art. Instead of the mass of idiots who focus hours upon hours upon technical details, and knowing the nerd talk and organization of photography (who have turgid photography) at-least the final photographs I produce are stunning and have acclaim.

However, instead of this becoming a typical neanderthal forum thread, perhaps the half of those with plebeian insults can simply leave, and the ones with technical suggestions can give input?

The past is done. Help me with the present.



Your diatribe is not going to help dismiss you from the normal stature of this forum of which you are 'intellectually' assaulting.


If, you had read any of the posts before this last response of yours, you would already have your answer. Instead of reading through the red veil in you eyes/mind, go back and find the answer already presented.
 
I guess a masters in philosophy did'nt include any info on camera repair.
 
Where's that icon...

Oh, there it is! :popcorn:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom