ultra wide digital compact camera to 500$

@fl45h, how "compact" does it have to be?

You could get a Nikon d3300 with 18-55 mm lens for $400. Include both the 18-55 and the 55-200 lenses for $500...

Thx but DSLR is to big for me, I need something smaller
The Canon Powershot SX60 isn't much smaller than a DSLR. My sister has one (or a similar one), and it's not small at all.

How small/slim? If you need pocket-slim, I'd suggest an iPhone or similar cell phone with good camera. I've seen better pictures from my phone than my sister's Powershot. The only difference is if you need to zoom, but is that a priority? You can even do pretty decent panos with a cell phone.
True. It is just a tad smaller.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Another recommendation for cell phone. This was taken by my Note 3. The original pic is 7584 x 1744 pixels but was too big to upload.
NOTE_3_PANO_1_s.jpg

Phones have some funky built in presets that DSLR's dont have and are great fun.

Another one to look at is a go pro.
That's a good option!

pocket size would be the best, I have iPhone 6 and pictures are not that bad in the day light/ sunny days but it doesn't have wide angle, I tried wide angle lenses for iPhone but I didn't like them at all.
Yeah, those stick on lenses are ok, but not great. The wife got me some, and I used them every now and then. They were fun to use, but I didn't expect much from them.

Outside of phone or a GoPro, I'm thinking you're going to have a hard time trying to find a wide-angle compact camera (outside of the Nikon DL18-50). The market doesn't seem to be too big even for DSLR's, so you'll probably have an even harder time finding a compact with such a wide angle of view.

One other option could be to take multiple exposures and stitch them together with software?

Another one to look at is a go pro.
That's a good option!

pocket size would be the best, I have iPhone 6 and pictures are not that bad in the day light/ sunny days but it doesn't have wide angle, I tried wide angle lenses for iPhone but I didn't like them at all.
Yeah, those stick on lenses are ok, but not great. The wife got me some, and I used them every now and then. They were fun to use, but I didn't expect much from them.

Outside of phone or a GoPro, I'm thinking you're going to have a hard time trying to find a wide-angle compact camera (outside of the Nikon DL18-50). The market doesn't seem to be too big even for DSLR's, so you'll probably have an even harder time finding a compact with such a wide angle of view.

One other option could be to take multiple exposures and stitch them together with software?

I know there is not much wide ultra angle compact cameras on the market, I was thinking about mirror less Micro 4/3 cameras but they are to expensive, you need to have over 1000$ to have something good including one extra wide angle lens.

I was thinking about mirror less Micro 4/3 cameras but they are to expensive, you need to have over 1000$ to have something good including one extra wide angle lens.
Mirrorless aren't exactly compact... You're going to run into the same issue as you did with the Nikon d3300 or the Canon Powershot SX60.

If you don't mind the larger size, you could always try a Sony a5100. Sony Alpha a5100 Mirrorless Digital Camera ILCE5100L/B B&H Photo

I was thinking about mirror less Micro 4/3 cameras but they are to expensive, you need to have over 1000$ to have something good including one extra wide angle lens.
Mirrorless aren't exactly compact... You're going to run into the same issue as you did with the Nikon d3300 or the Canon Powershot SX60.

If you don't mind the larger size, you could always try a Sony a5100. Sony Alpha a5100 Mirrorless Digital Camera ILCE5100L/B B&H Photo

I was thinking about this Sony a5100 but the angle of view it is not wide enough for me, I had this one a few days ago http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0124GYLBG...lid=2J4OZ5U1W40NE&coliid=I3Q80L6TOUJ250&psc=1
this is a great camera, but I had to return it because kit lens is not enough wide for me and ultra wide lens for this camera is about 500$ so I can't afford it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
this is a great camera, but I had to return it because kit lens is not enough wide for me and ultra wide lens for this camera is about 500$ so I can't afford it.

That 16-50mm on the a5100 is 24-70mm equiv.

The 14-42mm on the E-PL7 is 28-84mm equiv.

Anything wider is going to be specialty lens and going to cost $$$$$$

That 16-50mm on the a5100 is 24-70mm.

The 14-42mm on the E-PL7 is 28-84mm.

Anything wider is going to be specialty lens and going to cost $$$$$$

thanks Braineack , how would you compare this sony (16-50mm on the a5100 is 24-70mm) with this NIKON 1 J5 W/10-30 ? Nikon has wider lens ?

Damn, I forgot they don't label them as equivalent focal lengths for that body.

J5 with the 10-30mm ? I'm site you could find a better deal than Natcam too.

NIKON 1 J5 W/10-30 BLACK - Nikon - Featured Brands - New Cameras - National Camera Exchange

the Nikon 1 has a crop factor of 2.7.

a 10-30mm is a 27-81mm equiv.

ok I understand, thanks, so as you said anything wider than sony a5100 is going to be specialty lens. So I think if there is no pocket size compact cameras on the market with ultra wide angle lens built in than I have no choice, I need save more money and I ll get some mirror less camera micro 4/3 and will buy ultra wide lens :/

Well that 18-50mm DL looks perfect, but it's a new camera and it's $$$$.

I can't think of anything else wider than roughly 24mm focal length (@ 35mm equiv) without having to buy a new lens. But most of the wide lenses, like the Nikon 1 10mm 2.8, or Sony 16mm 2.8, still factors out to ~24-28mm.

If you can get a good deal on something like an a5000, you could buy a 16mm 2.8 and wide angle adapter for it:

Used Sony VCL-ECU1 0.75x Wide Angle Conversion Lens VCLECU1 B&H

Used Sony E-Mount SEL16F28 16mm f/2.8 Wide-Angle Alpha SEL16F28

probably still make your budget, that lens is easy to find under $120.

The problem is that lens is very soft in the edges to being with, more so with the adapter.

Well that 18-50mm DL looks perfect, but it's a new camera and it's $$$$.

I can't think of anything else wider than roughly 24mm focal length (@ 35mm equiv) without having to buy a new lens. But most of the wide lenses, like the Nikon 1 10mm 2.8, or Sony 16mm 2.8, still factors out to ~24-28mm.

If you can get a good deal on something like an a5000, you could buy a 16mm 2.8 and wide angle adapter for it:

Used Sony VCL-ECU1 0.75x Wide Angle Conversion Lens VCLECU1 B&H

Used Sony E-Mount SEL16F28 16mm f/2.8 Wide-Angle Alpha SEL16F28

probably still make your budget, that lens is easy to find under $120.

The problem is that lens is very soft in the edges to being with, more so with the adapter.

Thanks, this is great idea with this adapters, I didn't know I could do this. What you mean " is very soft in the edges", I will have some blur/ distortion in the edges with this adapter ?

Most reactions

Back