"Unbaked Alaska"

I really like all of them, great work. There is something unique in each of the pictures you posted. It is not easy to stay on the narrow road but at least you have something to take your mind off all the "access baggage". Keep it up :)
Thank you! I feel like each of the people I've photographed so far have something really unique to offer the camera. It's been a really enlightening experience to come to Alaska, but getting a chance to photograph and get to know so many new people has been ten times more enlightening. I've learned so much about myself because of these people.

Here are some more from this series. A couple of them have me in the shots as well; I used my backpack for a tripod and the ten second timer on my camera to get those shots.
$_MG_9114.jpg$_MG_9168.jpg$_MG_9173.jpg$_MG_9174.jpg$_MG_9199.jpg$_MG_9350.jpg$_MG_9373.jpg$_MG_9537.jpg$_MG_9627.jpg$_MG_9639.jpg

My favorite of the work you have chosen to post here thus far. I can't stop looking at them! The colors, the expressions, the joy you brought to them by doing this it seems... You have a gift, Dan. You do. There are talented artists, and then there are those with a gift.

Kudos on your sobriety! Life is a journey, much like photography, no? :) good work!

My favorite of the work you have chosen to post here thus far. I can't stop looking at them! The colors, the expressions, the joy you brought to them by doing this it seems... You have a gift, Dan. You do. There are talented artists, and then there are those with a gift.

Kudos on your sobriety! Life is a journey, much like photography, no? :) good work!
Wow, thank you! When I first joined this forum I got some pretty un-optimistic reactions that really got me to question where I'm headed with this venture, but words like yours really make me feel good about expressing myself through these photos! Thank you!

Honestly I liked the first 3 of the original set the best. I think if you took that concept and ran with it you might have something. The other ones while technically pleasing seem very "youth product catalog" vibe.

Also how about some folks who aren't your friends? I am sure you guys aren't the only unique characters up there.

Nice pictures! Congrats on your sobriety. It takes a big person to admit to substance abuse,thats the first step.Keep up the good work.

Honestly I liked the first 3 of the original set the best. I think if you took that concept and ran with it you might have something. The other ones while technically pleasing seem very "youth product catalog" vibe.

Also how about some folks who aren't your friends? I am sure you guys aren't the only unique characters up there.
It's about Alaska as I experience it, not necessarily as I plan it. Documenting those close to me here as the days pass is an important part of the project to me. Some are posed, some aren't. A few of these people were strangers when I photographed them though, and I've been trying to convince some cruise ship crew members who log into Grindr to let me photograph them, as well as tourists who are in town on my days off.

Last edited:

It's about Alaska as I experience it, not necessarily as I plan it. Documenting those close to me here as the days pass is an important part of the project to me. Some are posed, some aren't. A few of these people were strangers when I photographed them though, and I've been trying to convince some cruise ship crew members who log into Grindr to let me photograph them, as well as tourists who are in town on my days off.

Don't get me wrong, i like what you are doing but i think those first three had a distinct feel that made me want to see more. I am thinking more of the haggard/crazy locals folks that show hardship on their faces.

I am really unsure that the title of the project reflects the first two individuals. Gotta love the Alaska State Constitution!

I am really unsure that the title of the project reflects the first two individuals. Gotta love the Alaska State Constitution!
Yes, but the title of the project is about my experience, not theirs.

either you are taking what I said too seriously, or you are taking what yourself too seriously. either way, I get the impression one of us is missing something in what the other said.

either you are taking what I said too seriously, or you are taking what yourself too seriously. either way, I get the impression one of us is missing something in what the other said.
Or perhaps you're misunderstanding my tone. No hostility was implied.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back