Underexposed Right Quarter of Film - Help!

danmazz2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have a Nikon F3 and I am using a 28MM F/2.8 SERIES E lens. About 20% of my photos come out black on the right (see example below). This has happened on the last 4 rolls I've shot. I've checked the lens and advance lever and all seems to be fine. Why is this happening?

IMG_2353.JPG.opt690x517o0%2C0s690x517.JPG

That look more than black ... it looks out of focus also.
The Nikon F3 has a horizontal plane shutter, so I can see a possibility of a shutter issue causing exposure differences if it is not traveling across properly ... but it should not cause it to look that fuzzy.
Does this look the same on the negative ?

Yes it is the same on the negative. Do you think it is a shutter issue?

The shutter is what I would suspect, given the issue shows up on the neg. Does this appear on all images, regardless of the shutter speed?

It is a seemingly random occurrences, I have identified no patterns with shutter speed

With no film in, just open the back, aim the camera at a light and start clicking away. Maybe you'll see the issue.

With a camera of this age, it would be unusual to not have mechanical problems. Lubricants harden and lose their slipperiness.

More than likely, the shutters are not releasing in sync.

Take the camera to a shop and ask for an estimate of repair costs. This is typically a nominal fee based on hourly labor costs. If you proceed with the repair, the fee gets applied to your total repair bill. If you decide not to proceed, the shop gets to keep the fee to cover the tech's time spent troubleshooting.

What bothers me about this is that the right side looks blurred. If the shutter is sticking then it should be "dark" but still focused.

Also as I look at the shape of the darkened/blurred area, I see it has a bit of curve to it. When you're looking through the viewfinder (ignore the image for the moment) is the right side of the image just as sharp as the left side? Does this blur only show up in the image? Is the film laying flat on the film plane (usually the camera door has a plate with some spring pressure to hold the film tight to the focus plane inside the camera. Is that film door ok?)

With no film in the camera, please open the rear door, set the camera to a very slow exposure (e.g. 2 seconds... or even "bulb" mode) look through the camera body while taking a shot. Do you see any obstructions in the camera body when the shutter opens?

Like Tim noted, a total blur, check the pressure plate. I have never seen this issue, are you taking up the slack in the spool when loading the film?

Are you guys seeing an actual 'blur', or just a black image with random lights reflecting off the paper?

Are you guys seeing an actual 'blur', or just a black image with random lights reflecting off the paper?

I don't see reflections off the left side of the paper, so I'm guessing what we see on the right side of the paper is actual blur.

I don't see reflections off the left side of the paper, so I'm guessing what we see on the right side of the paper is actual blur.

You'll note that the paper in the image is not perfectly flat.

Looks like a light leak. Perhaps the pressure plate is not holding the film down and light is getting in through the eyepiece? I'd try putting the camera in a black bag with just the lens front out and take a picture - see if the dark area is white

Most reactions

New Topics

Back