unsharp mask vs. clarity. vs structure. vs. regualr sharpness, vs...

Depending on the scene I'll usually use either two high pass layers (one large radius and one small radius) or an inverted surface blur. A large radius high pass layer set to soft light is good for bringing the overall shapes of an image into crisp focus, while a small radius high pass layer set to vivid light, or hard light, will help bring out high frequency detail.
An inverted surface blur works similar to a high pass layer, but it shines in bringing shape and separation to details in shadow.

Thank you for asking this question bribrius. This thread is gold!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
somewhat helpful, a few of the links are geared toward photoshop and lightroom. i have neither. closest i have is elements, but usually use capture nx2. Structure, i dont know what it is. it is in some of the nik collection, the google backup cloud editing programs i have and one of the off brand freeware programs. seems pretty much like clarity sort of. Thankyou for the response, much appreciated. It would probably be much easier if i had photoshop and lightroom, as it seems every else does it explaining might be easier and more tutorials seem available.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back