What's new

Untitled

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
5,213
Reaction score
983
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please view it on a dark background here.

p1379062810-4.jpg
 
Nicely done. Good composition, I like the lines, light and texture but I don't think the dark background does anything for it. My eye wants to wander and bounce around for lack of a focal point such as a white coffee cup or black glove on the bottom step or a hand on the top rail... Just MHO.
 
I love it over both light and dark backgrounds! Each view offers different variations in the contrast. Simple, yet elegant. Nicely done.
 
I LOVE the stairs and the angle and such, but I'm not sure how I feel about the railing in the lower right hand corner there... it's a very strong line combined with some distracting dead-space. I'm not sure it works. :(
 
On a white background I want to clone out the floor to all black and see if it gets better.

On the dark background, the light draws focus to the stair treads, and the floor is somehow less distracting.

Great shot.
 
I'm with Chris on this one - 3/4 of it has some very nice textures and lines, but the OOF railing and the dark area in the corner just don't work for me.
 
Simple and very nice. The rail works. I think cropping some off the left side would help.
 
Nicely done. Good composition, I like the lines, light and texture but I don't think the dark background does anything for it.
Thank you, and welcome to TPF. The dark background allows you to see the detail on the darkest areas of the frame. The bright white background of the forum makes the darker shades of gray look black, and this is particularly a problem with high-contrast and generally dark images. See nycphotography's comment above.

My eye wants to wander and bounce around for lack of a focal point such as a white coffee cup or black glove on the bottom step or a hand on the top rail... Just MHO.
I agree with this. The "lurking" aspect of this image is suggested, but a hand on the rail would've made a world of difference. It didn't occur to me at the time that I had my two hands with me :)

I LOVE the stairs and the angle and such, but I'm not sure how I feel about the railing in the lower right hand corner there... it's a very strong line combined with some distracting dead-space. I'm not sure it works. :(
I'm with Chris on this one - 3/4 of it has some very nice textures and lines, but the OOF railing and the dark area in the corner just don't work for me.
I'm not sure about the rail at the bottom working either, to be honest. The title of this photo, which I chose not to include here to see how the image worked by itself, is "Lurking". Without the rail the lurking factor disappears altogether and the photo becomes an architectural image more than a short story. It would be unnatural for the top rail to be in focus if the eye is focused on the stairs below – both in the photo and in real life. Ken, I suggest you view this image on a dark background – you'll see some detail on that dark right corner come to life.

Thank you all for the candid feedback, I appreciate it.
 
You should reshoot it with your dolly sitting on the stairs... ;) That would rock....

Love it with the dark background!
 
You should reshoot it with your dolly sitting on the stairs... ;) That would rock....
This was in the Manitoba Legislature. If I ever enter that building with that doll, I might get shown out through a side door in a straitjacket :lol: (Excellent idea, by the way. I'll keep it in mind.)
 
You should reshoot it with your dolly sitting on the stairs... ;) That would rock....
This was in the Manitoba Legislature. If I ever enter that building with that doll, I might get shown out through a side door in a straitjacket :lol: (Excellent idea, by the way. I'll keep it in mind.)

Just say that you are shooting it for your kids... they would love it! Of course, here in the states... they would call for a bomb sniffing dog! lol!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom